Another Critter Mix

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Another Critter Mix

Post by Dalantech »

Last year I bought a kit so I could raise some Swallowtail Butterflies (Papilio machaon) and this is a frame with the Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens set to about 2x.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSwallowtail Portrait by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This one at about 4x:

ImageSwallowtail Portrait by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Several different species of solitary bee sleep by clamping their mandibles onto something. The way that their jaws are designed they natural close and the critter has to use its muscles to open them, so it can snooze and still stay clamped tight. But to come off of that perch they have to get their metabolism going, and this Resin Bee is trying to push off of the grass stem that it chose to sleep on cause it wants to get away from me. Not long after I got this shot he managed to free himself and take off.

Trachusa interrupta, male. Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in June of 2021.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageResin Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Cool, partly cloudy weather makes the perfect conditions to photograph small solitary bees. I found this Mining Bee foraging in a Dandelion.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. ISO and shutter set to expose for the natural light in the background.

ImagePollen Covered Mining Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Early in the morning it is common for bees to feel the heat coming off of my hand and climb onto it. This Sweat Bee is warming up on my finger. I was resting the lens on my hand to keep the scene steady, and so I could control where the depth of field was going to fall in the frame.

Possibly Halictus sexcinctus.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSweat Bee on my Finger by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This European Blue Mason Bee is emerging from its cocoon. The female creates cells (usually in reeds or other hollow cavities), makes a pollen ball inside of a cell, and lays an egg on it and then closes that cell before making another one. When the egg hatches the larvae eats the pollen and spins a cocoon in about ten days, becomes a fully formed adult near the end of summer, "hibernates" through the winter and waits for the spring to emerge. The yellow bits stuck to its fur are left over pollen that it did not eat when it was a larvae.

Osmia Caerulescens, male.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to about 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX RT (E-TTL metering with -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageEmerging European Blue Mason Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

DavyC

Re: Another Critter Mix

Post by DavyC »

Great set of pics. Subject, lighting, detail, non detracting backgrounds and how you got there details.

Super,well done!

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

very nice :smt041

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

DavyC wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:34 am
Great set of pics. Subject, lighting, detail, non detracting backgrounds and how you got there details.

Super,well done!
Thanks!

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

Adalbert wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:37 am
very nice :smt041
Thanks!

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »