Slime mold

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

enricosavazzi

Slime mold

Post by enricosavazzi »

A slime mold, perhaps Fuligo septica. Quick pictures with mobile phone as I was out walking the dog and had no camera with me. The phone camera totally missed the exposure in the panoramic shot and overexposed the mold. Total length around 7 cm.
Attachments
20210830_101257s.jpg
20210830_101322s.jpg
--ES

enricosavazzi

Re: Slime mold

Post by enricosavazzi »

One day later, the yellow color is mostly gone, and some brown (indicating spore maturation) begins to appear.
20210831_192225s.jpg
PS - One week after, still no change with respect to the above picture. It looks like I got the slime mold right before and right after it died off and dried.
I took the pictures of the first post the first day of nice weather after one week of almost uninterrupted rain. If anyone is interested in looking for slime molds, going out just after a long rain might be a good idea.
--ES

klevin

Post by klevin »

I've been out shooting mushrooms and relatives too, on the road in front of my house lately. It's interesting how short the life cycle is of these things, a few days before they're spent and drying up, except for a giant mushroom/fungus at the base of a tree that's at least a foot across. It's been there all summer, and dumped a load of spores a few weeks ago - the ground beneath it was a pale grey.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

klevin wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:44 pm
I've been out shooting mushrooms and relatives too, on the road in front of my house lately. It's interesting how short the life cycle is of these things, a few days before they're spent and drying up, except for a giant mushroom/fungus at the base of a tree that's at least a foot across. It's been there all summer, and dumped a load of spores a few weeks ago - the ground beneath it was a pale grey.
Made me think of this picture:
PA130470s.JPG
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic