Critter pictures

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

Critter pictures

Post by MarkSturtevant »

More from last summer.
This clear-winged sphinx moth (Hemaris thysbe) is clearly a bumblebee mimic.
ImageClear-winged sphinx moth by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
ImageClear-winged sphinx moth by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Ground crab spider (Xysticus sp.).
ImageGround crab spider by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
ImageGround crab spider by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Bark lice (Cerastipsocus venosus) are a new thing for me. These odd Hemipterans gather in tight clusters. Although they resemble aphids, they are a fair bit larger and they are fast. The least disturbance triggers them to instantly disperse in short, synchronized stampedes. Soon after, they were completely spread out.
ImageBark lice by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
ImageBark lice by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

I well remember when I first saw this nectar feeding fly. I was all like "What the heck?" This is the scaly bee fly (Lepidophora lepidocera)
ImageScaly bee fly by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

leonardturner

Re: Critter pictures

Post by leonardturner »

Really nice action shot on the sphinx. The spider is more dramatic, but the bark lice steal the show for me. Never heard of them, let alone saw one!

Leonard

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

very nice :smt041

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The moth photo is wonderful, and the fly is also weird and wonderful. Never heard of such a fly.

Sippyjug

Post by Sippyjug »

Amazing series expertly taken. =D>

Troels

Post by Troels »

A really nice set of pictures!
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

Nice set 8)

Check your diffuser -it has a hot spot in it. The light is not diffused enough, and the specular surfaces are returning the color of the flash and not the color of the surface. Lots of detail getting erased by the light...

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Dalantech, I don't see that, except for very minor reflections on the bark lice abdomens

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:23 am
Dalantech, I don't see that, except for very minor reflections on the bark lice abdomens
Take a look at the specular highlights in the spider's eyes. Also shows up in the bark lice, on their heads.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Lots of detail getting erased by the light.
Take a look at the specular highlights in the spider's eyes. Also shows up in the bark lice, on their heads.
I see those eye highlights, but is there really lots of detail being lost there?

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I agree with Dalentech. These were taken with an older diffuser design that pre-dates the internally reflecting twin diffuser design that I featured here recently. That one improves the matter, since all light is reflected from the interior, although it too can be challenged by especially shiny surfaces.
This winter I plan to build another internally reflecting diffuser that is based on these 'party bowls': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQNW6K6?ps ... ct_details . I like the shape of these very light and thin-walled bowls b/c it looks like they can distribute light on the subject both in front and from the side. And I can modify them so they fit together to form a larger single bowl with a deeply concave front face. We shall see...
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:31 am
Lots of detail getting erased by the light.
I see those eye highlights, but is there really lots of detail being lost there?
Yup, cause that non-diffused light erases a lot of detail throughout the scene. It is something that I struggled with for years before finally wrapping my head around what was happening, and how to fix it.
Last edited by Dalantech on Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:44 am
I agree with Dalentech. These were taken with an older diffuser design that pre-dates the internally reflecting twin diffuser design that I featured here recently. That one improves the matter, since all light is reflected from the interior, although it too can be challenged by especially shiny surfaces.
This winter I plan to build another internally reflecting diffuser that is based on these 'party bowls': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQNW6K6?ps ... ct_details . I like the shape of these very light and thin-walled bowls b/c it looks like they can distribute light on the subject both in front and from the side. And I can modify them so they fit together to form a larger single bowl with a deeply concave front face. We shall see...
The torture test for any diffuser design is a stainless steal ball berrying. If there is a hot spot in your diffusion it will definitely show up.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Dalantech wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:38 pm
The torture test for any diffuser design is a stainless steal ball berrying. If there is a hot spot in your diffusion it will definitely show up.
I would be curious to see what would be an ideal look for a ball bearing in such a test (or spherical Christmas tree ornament - that being more my speed as I''m all out of ball bearings).
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:34 pm
Dalantech wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:38 pm
I would be curious to see what would be an ideal look for a ball bearing in such a test (or spherical Christmas tree ornament - that being more my speed as I''m all out of ball bearings).
The larger the specular area, and the smoother the transition between the specular and non-specular areas of the scene, the better. You should see color and texture in the specular surfaces.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic