Critter Mix Part Four

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Critter Mix Part Four

Post by Dalantech »

I went out to my sister in law's place in the mountains above Itri, Italy at 5:30AM to photograph the Bumblebees in her Lavender. There were several that were already awake and foraging in the 17C (62F) temperature.

Bombus hortorum

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/100, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 3x) + a diffused MT26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. I used an artificial flower to keep the background from being black.

ImageBumblebee Portrait by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Second shot, same species and settings.

ImageBumblebee in Lavender by John Kimbler, on Flickr

It is pretty common for solitary bees, like this Sweat Bee, to feel the heat coming off of my skin and climb onto my hand to get warm. A split second after I took that shot the critter got airborne.

Possibly Halictus sexcinctus.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to under 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. When photographing subjects with black glossy eyes it is best to under expose the scene by 2/3 to a full stop. Those eyes are like firing a flash into a piece of curved glazed tile, and although the histogram might look good it is easy to overexpose those peepers.

ImageSweat Bee on my Finger by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I am not sure what damaged this Sweat Bee's eye, but it is not unusual to see that kind of damage. The bee was acting normally, and flew off after it got tired of me sticking the camera into its face. Sweat Bees (Halictidae) are known to bed down together in groups, and there are over a dozen that are using one of my Geranium flowers as a hostel.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageDented Sweat Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I normally do not like to let the background go dark due to flash fall off, but this Sweat Bee was in a tricky spot and I did not want to spook the critter into taking off.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to under 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSweat Bee in a Geranium Flower by John Kimbler, on Flickr

For this frame I used my hand to keep the background from going black. Same species, shot at about 2x:

ImageSweat Bee in a Geranium Flower by John Kimbler, on Flickr

It is pretty common for mildew (a fungus) to grow on Sunflower leaves but when it does nature sends in her cleaning crew, the 22 Spot Ladybug. They have been grazing like cows in my yard for about a week now.

Psyllobora vigintiduopunctata.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to about 2.5x) + a diffused MT-26EX RT (E-TTL metering with -2/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

Image22 Spot Ladybug by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I really did not expect to get a shot of this feeding butterfly. Bright, sunny, and hot so I expected it to take off when I got close but it was more hungry than afraid. I could not grab onto the flower without spooking it, so I braced the camera by putting my elbow on my leg and rocked back and forth to get the focus where I wanted. Probably took a dozen frames and this is the only one that did not become one with the universe and the delete key on my keyboard.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 1x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. ISO and shutter speed set to expose for the natural light in the background.

ImageFeeding Butterfly by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Sippyjug

Re: Critter Mix Part Four

Post by Sippyjug »

Lovely series.

Dalantech

Re: Critter Mix Part Four

Post by Dalantech »

Sippyjug wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:00 pm
Lovely series.
Thanks!