Critter Mix Part Three

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Critter Mix Part Three

Post by Dalantech »

Snails have been hitting our strawberries like they're an all you can eat buffet. I found a snail close to our plants this morning, I placed it on a half eaten strawberry, and then tracked it with the camera as it moved hoping to get something interesting. Had to hold the strawberry in my hand and turn it as the critter moved.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. I used an artificial flower to keep the background from being black.

ImageSnail on a Strawberry by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I chased this semi-active Long Horned Bee as it moved around a flower and when it would pause I'd look for a way to compose it. Just out of the frame, to the left, I'm holding on to that stem with my left hand and I'm resting the lens on that same hand to help keep the scene steady. Having the camera and the subject on the same "platform" gives me a lot of control over the framing and where I want the area of acceptable focus to be. I focused on the leading edge of the bee's mandible and then twisted my wrist to lay the depth over as much of the critter's face as I could. It's harder for me to explain it than to do it, I've built up a lot of muscle memory shooting macro hand held these fifteen years.

Tetralonia malvae, male.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. I used an artificial flower to keep the background from being black.

ImageLong Horned Bee III by John Kimbler, on Flickr

It's pretty common on cool mornings for a critter like this Long Horned Bee to feel the heat coming off of my hand and climb onto my finger to get warm. I took this photo at life size to give you a sense of just how small they are.

Tetralonia malvae, male.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (1x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. I used an artificial flower to keep the background from being black.

ImageLong Horned Bee IV by John Kimbler, on Flickr

There wasn't enough wind so this Sweat Bee felt me grab onto the stem of the Sourgrass Flower that it was foraging in and climbed to the top of it to investigate. But when it did it was facing away from me. So I carefully turned the flower so that the critter was facing the camera. Gotta be gentle, cause I didn't want to spook the bee into taking off and I didn't want to damage the flower. I managed to get the shot and leave the Sourgrass unharmed.

Halictidae Lasioglossum

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC, second curtain sync). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSweat Bee in a Sourgrass Flower by John Kimbler, on Flickr

There is a rooster close to my new place that crows at the crack of dawn. The only good thing about it is that it wakes me up just after 5am and I go looking for something lethargic to shoot. I found this European Wool Carder Bee (Anthidium manicatum) snoozing in my Lavender but it woke up as I got close. Didn't get many frames before it got tired of my camera in its face.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (almost 3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order. I used an artificial flower to keep the background from being black.

ImageEuropean Wool Carder Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This is an emerging male Red Mason Bee (Osmia bicornis) chewing his way out of a cocoon. I've been raising Masons for roughly five years.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/200, ISO 200 due to Highlight Tone Priority) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to about 2.5x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC, second curtain sync). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

ImageEmerging Red Mason Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Troels

Re: Critter Mix Part Three

Post by Troels »

Impressive pictures!

I especially like the tiny Long Horn Bee on your fingertip and the Mason Bee in its "sleeping bag".
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Dalantech

Re: Critter Mix Part Three

Post by Dalantech »

Troels wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:52 am
Impressive pictures!

I especially like the tiny Long Horn Bee on your fingertip and the Mason Bee in its "sleeping bag".
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic