Reflector bowl test shots

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gardenersassistant

Reflector bowl test shots

Post by gardenersassistant »

I have been experimenting with flash diffusion using reflected light rather than multiple diffusion layers in front of the flash heads. Here are some examples from the first test session I did in the grounds of the church opposite our house using a reflector bowl setup. I'm still in the experimental/development stage so the setup keeps changing and I need to settle it down before deciding whether to carry on using it or go back to my multi-layer diffuser setup. I will put an illustrated description of the setup in a response post if anyone is interested (unless there is a "show us your kit" thread that I've missed).

This album at Flickr has 1300 pixel high versions of these images and the other images I kept from the session.

I used a Sony A7sii with two 2X teleconverters and a Laowa 100mm 2X macro lens and Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash. I shot raw at f/45 with 1/4 flash power.

The raw files were processed in DXO PhotoLab and Adobe Lightroom using presets, with image-specific adjustments in Lightroom and image-specific masked output sharpening in Topaz DeNoise AI. Images #3 and #5 had round trips from Lightroom to Photoshop and back to damp down reflections of the flash source on highly reflective surfaces.

Image1922 04 2021_06_20 DSC00515_PLab4 LR 1300h DNAI DNAIc by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Image1922 05 2021_06_20 DSC00575_PLab4 LR 1300h DNAI DNAIc by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Image1922 07 2021_06_20 DSC00601_PLab4-Edit-Edit LR 1300h DNAI DNAIc by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Image1922 11 2021_06_20 DSC00640_PLab4 LR 1300h DNAI DNAIc by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Image1922 18 2021_06_20 DSC00687_PLab4-Edit LR 1300h DNAI DNAIc by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Image1922 19 2021_06_20 DSC00734_PLab4 LR 1300h DNAI DNAIc by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Image1922 21 2021_06_20 DSC00696_PLab4 LR 1300h DNAI DNAIc by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Image1922 25 2021_06_20 DSC00756_PLab4 LR 1300h DNAI DNAIc by gardenersassistant, on Flickr
Nick

Flickr
Blog
Journey since 2007

Rework and reposts of my images posted in this forum are always welcome, especially if they come with an explanation of what you did and how you did it.

iconoclastica

Re: Reflector bowl test shots

Post by iconoclastica »

Some are better than others. The ones I appreciate less are those where the light is directionless and there are no shadows to add to the depth of the photo. I would expect better of a non-uniform reflector.
--- felix filicis ---

gardenersassistant

iconoclastica wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:08 am
Some are better than others. The ones I appreciate less are those where the light is directionless and there are no shadows to add to the depth of the photo. I would expect better of a non-uniform reflector.
Thanks for your feedback. Looking through your posting history I see that you are far more knowledgeable and perceptive about this stuff than I am. In contrast I have a rather unsophisticated approach; pretty much point and shoot with the same aperture, flash power and flash setup for every shot, a high volume somewhat "spray and pray" approach, small apertures that kill fine detail, processing that makes the finest of the detail that remains inauthentic, and small 1300 pixel high outputs that, as you correctly point out, and by personal preference, look rather flat. Not, to say the least, everyone's idea of a good way to go about things, but it is a mix that works for my preferences.

That said, in response to a comment on another site from another very knowledgeable macro expert I did some experiments last night and discovered that changing the direction the flash heads were pointing in could change the rendition of a simple test scene rather more than I expected. I may do some more experiments where I combine such flash head movements with adjustments to flash power, and that might shape the illumination so as to add a little depth to some scenes, so I will keep your comments in mind and watch out for that. It might be a bit academic though, because I think it doubtful whether I would bother with such adjustments out in the field when I am responding to fleeting opportunities.
Nick

Flickr
Blog
Journey since 2007

Rework and reposts of my images posted in this forum are always welcome, especially if they come with an explanation of what you did and how you did it.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

very nice :smt041

gardenersassistant

Adalbert wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:45 am
very nice :smt041
Thank you. :)
Nick

Flickr
Blog
Journey since 2007

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very nice! By coincidence I've been tinkering with a diffuser that relies more on reflection than diffusion as well. The basic idea is to mount a reflector thingy directly in front of the flash head, and to have the entire interior of the diffuser space also be reflective. In this way there is no direct light path from the flash element to the subject. The reflective material that I rely on is HVAC tape.
I will be happy to share what iv'e got should a thread appear for that.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

As this section is for image galleries, description of the reflector has been split to "Technique and Technical Discussion" HERE
Chris R

gardenersassistant

ChrisR wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:15 am
As this section is for image galleries, description of the reflector has been split to "Technique and Technical Discussion" HERE
Thanks Chris. That is very helpful.
Nick

Flickr
Blog
Journey since 2007

razorbacksrule

Post by razorbacksrule »

You have a pic of your setup? Your lighting is fantastic !

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

razorbacksrule wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:22 pm
You have a pic of your setup? Your lighting is fantastic !
rasorbacksrule, welcome aboard!

There are lots of pictures, and extensive discussion, in the technical thread that was spun off this one. Follow the link, to viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43728 .

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic