Snail on a Strawberry

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Snail on a Strawberry

Post by Dalantech »

Snails have been hitting our strawberries like they're an all you can eat buffet. I found a snail close to our plants this morning, I placed it on a half eaten strawberry, and then tracked it with the camera as it moved hoping to get something interesting.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. I used an artificial flower to keep the background from being black.

ImageSnail on a Strawberry by John Kimbler, on Flickr

As this snail was eating a strawberry I was holding the fruit in my hand and rotating it as the critter moved to maintain the framing that I wanted. I was paying so much attention to the composition and where I wanted the focus to land that I didn't realize that the snail's skin was transparent enough to see the strawberry move through it as it ate.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (1x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. I used an artificial flower to keep the background from being black.

ImageSnail Eating a Strawberry by John Kimbler, on Flickr

MarkSturtevant

Re: Snail on a Strawberry

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very nicely done. That is some beautiful diffusion you got going on there.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Re: Snail on a Strawberry

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:50 pm
Very nicely done. That is some beautiful diffusion you got going on there.
Thanks!

Took me a long time to find a combination of materials that would actually force the light to spread out and not just block it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic