Queen Red Tailed Bumble Bee

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

aveslux

Queen Red Tailed Bumble Bee

Post by aveslux »

Red Tailed Bumble Bee Queen by Aves Lux, on Flickr

This is a single shot photo of a Queen Red Tailed Bumble Bee actively feeding on Chive flowers. The day was quite cool and the bees were sluggish enough to allow for composition and focus even at around 2x.
This was taken using a Canon EOS R5 with a MT-26EX flash, focus on the eye was more easily achieved with the focus peaking features of the mirrorless camera.

The image is very moderately cropped for composition and the full res of the image is 5120x6513 pixels.

Dalantech

Re: Queen Red Tailed Bumble Bee

Post by Dalantech »

Wonderful shot and I like the tight framing!

IMHO it would be better if you turned it to the right. I know you probably posted it as you took it, but there's nothing in the frame to force the orientation of the subject and I keep turning my head to look at the photo.

aveslux

Post by aveslux »

Dalantech wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:30 pm

IMHO it would be better if you turned it to the right. I know you probably posted it as you took it, but there's nothing in the frame to force the orientation of the subject and I keep turning my head to look at the photo.
Honestly I had it flipped to the right as you say in the edit and spent a lot of time tying too work out what orientation worked best. For me flipped to the right didn't work as well. I might go back and see what it looks like after some time, edits can be so hard to get right.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

aveslux wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:17 am
Dalantech wrote:

Honestly I had it flipped to the right as you say in the edit and spent a lot of time tying too work out what orientation worked best. For me flipped to the right didn't work as well. I might go back and see what it looks like after some time, edits can be so hard to get right.
Indeed!

aveslux

Post by aveslux »

Dalantech wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:34 am
aveslux wrote:
Dalantech wrote:

Indeed!

aveslux

Post by aveslux »

Dalantech wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:34 am
aveslux wrote:
Dalantech wrote:

Indeed!
After much consideration I think you are right so I flipped it

Red Tailed Bumble Bee Queen by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

I like that version better! 8)

aveslux

Post by aveslux »

Dalantech wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:01 am
Thanks for your critical eye, you've been a major inspiration for me so I'm glad I'm able to produce something you like.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

aveslux wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:32 am
Dalantech wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:01 am
Thanks for your critical eye, you've been a major inspiration for me so I'm glad I'm able to produce something you like.
Happy to help!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic