Cleg fly

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pawelfoto

Cleg fly

Post by pawelfoto »

Haematopota pluvialis.
Art requires sacrifice. The fly is sitting on my left wrist and I'm taking a picture with my right hand. The whole action lasted about 5 minutes, the fly bit me twice, I made 17 shots, most of them failed. We're gonna make an appointment at my studio for the next date, but first I'll give her some alcohol. The dark item pointed downward is the horsefly's mouthpart. The cylindrical part, the labium, wraps around unseen, slender, sharp, swordlike parts that slash into flesh, cutting across blood vessels. You can see them carefully on the forum on the wonderful photos of colleagues taken in the studio. My session was in nature.
Do you also have photos of which something is drinking your blood?
Attachments
Canon 5d, EF100mm macro f/16 1/100s ISO 400, heavy crop
Canon 5d, EF100mm macro f/16 1/100s ISO 400, heavy crop
mouthparts.jpg

MarkSturtevant

Re: Cleg fly

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I don't have a similar picture that is this interesting. That is a lovely bloodsucker. One wonders why they have that color pattern in their eyes. Related flies have different patterns, and perhaps that is a way for them to identify members of their species?
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

leonardturner

Re: Cleg fly

Post by leonardturner »

Mosquito is the largest I've tried, or am willing to try. Color me impressed with your sacrifice to your art! Nice image, too!

Leonard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic