China Blue - Corydalis flexuosa

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

China Blue - Corydalis flexuosa

Post by Beatsy »

Saw this "tail end charlie" on a small plant stall today. Common but new to me and suited to the damp shade of a patch in my garden. It's nearly through flowering but was discounted accordingly so it and another shade-lover came home with me. No sooner had I placed this still-potted plant in a likely location, a fat bee zoomed in and hung off each flower in turn, staying a good five seconds sucking at nectar in each. I went and grabbed some gear, but needless to say, no more bees showed in the time I had for photographing.

Another time. The flowers do have beautiful shapes and forms up close with plenty of "parts" suitable for studio extreme too (but what doesn't have :) ). All in all, a cheering little find. Little things...
Sony A9 + 35/1.4GM @ 1/640, f/2.2, ISO 100, natural light (well, shade)
Sony A9 + 35/1.4GM @ 1/640, f/2.2, ISO 100, natural light (well, shade)
Sony A7riv + 90mm G macro lens @ 1/125, f/8, ISO 100. twin head flash, 4mpix crop from 62mpix FF
Sony A7riv + 90mm G macro lens @ 1/125, f/8, ISO 100. twin head flash, 4mpix crop from 62mpix FF

MarkSturtevant

Re: China Blue - Corydalis flexuosa

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Little things, yes. If its a perennial it will be back next season.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

I agree; little things mean a lot (I think there was actually a song named that many years ago).

I recently found an app for my phone that offers identification of plants from photographs, and have found that it even works with shots of computer screens. It advises me that your plant is Corydalis incisa, commonly called incised fumewort (what a name!). I think it is pretty brave of them to be so specific on species, but it seems pretty good on general identification and has been a source of amusement.

Leonard

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

From the pictures on the internet, I would vote for Corydalis flexuosa like the label says, rather than C.incisa. As you said, it is very brave of an app to dare to guess a species name. But it is pretty incredible that it can correctly get the genus.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

leonardturner wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:21 am
I agree; little things mean a lot (I think there was actually a song named that many years ago).

I recently found an app for my phone that offers identification of plants from photographs, and have found that it even works with shots of computer screens. It advises me that your plant is Corydalis incisa, commonly called incised fumewort (what a name!). I think it is pretty brave of them to be so specific on species, but it seems pretty good on general identification and has been a source of amusement.

Leonard
I will have to look for that app, Leonard. I didn't know such a thing existed. Thanks for the heads up. I assume it used picture of the whole plant for ID, not the closeup, right?

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Beatsy, my experience with this intriguing little app is limited; I only recently saw an ad and purchased it--$30 US per year, so it is neither free nor cheap. It is called "PictureThis" and offers plant care information and plant disease diagnosis as well. Images and their identification can be maintained going forward if desired. My experience with the app has been mostly with one-shot pictures, often just a tight shot of the flower, but they do advise multiple images for the most specific accurate result.

Leonard

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Not a bad price for the service if you use it regularly. As Lou says, even "to genus" is impressive. Fumbling through search results trying to identify a thing you know nothing about can be frustrating, but incidental finds are often useful or interesting too. So I'll manage with that - unless the app can ID diatoms to genus as well! Can it?

Besides, no app can best the PMN hive-mind anyway. It. Knows. Everything!! :)

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Lens (by Google) often works and is free, with your picture it arrives to the genus and suggests some species including C. flexuosa
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic