You too may wish to curse these flies!

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

You too may wish to curse these flies!

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Photographing drama is always pretty special. During one outing to the Magic Field, I noticed some movement on the ground. It was a solitary wasp, hard at work digging a burrow. No doubt she would later be provisioning it with paralyzed prey for her larvae. This is Prionyx parkeri, one of the thread-waisted wasps. Her long mandibles suggest that she is a caterpillar hunter, similar to a larger species of thread-waisted wasp (Ammophila procera), which I had shown many weeks ago. I admire the long spurs on her front legs, which were used to good effect as she diligently raked up and carried away sand from her burrow.
ImageThread-waisted wasp drama! by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
ImageThread-waisted wasp drama! by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

After a time I saw she had… other watchers (to the right). This was bad news!
ImageThe watching Tachinid flies by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
ImageThe watching Tachinid flies by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

These are Tachinid flies. Parasitic. More specifically, these will be kleptoparasites, which means that they intend to lay eggs on her paralyzed prey. Her offspring are not yet born, but they are already doomed. And all her labors will be for nothing.

I watched in fascination. After she cleared out the entrance, she then wandered off. But soon she returned with a paralyzed caterpillar. This must have been set down just a few feet away while she was opening up her burrow, and so I understood that her burrow and deeper chambers had already been prepared. She was only unplugging the entrance earlier. She set it down her prize at the entrance, and disappeared inside for what I suppose were final inspections.
ImageThe wasp has left prey at the entrance by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Immediately one of the flies made its move. It landed on the caterpillar and inserted an egg into it.
ImageOne of the flies lays an egg! by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

When she emerged, the flies soon backed away. She moved the caterpillar inside, and after a time re-emerged to then carefully conceal the entrance before leaving. The flies continued their watch.
ImageWith prey in the burrow, the wasp leaves by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
ImageThe flies continue to watch by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
Solitary wasps of this sort will make a burrow that branch off into several individual chambers, each with a prey item and one egg. The remaining flies likely have good reason to lurk in the area.

I do regret not recording this scene as a movie with the camera, as that would have ensured that more details were captured. But the microphone would have also recorded a rather continuous stream of profanity from a grown man who was very upset at some of the normal drama that happens every day in the Magic Field.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

iconoclastica

Re: You too may wish to curse these flies!

Post by iconoclastica »

Wow! Such a terrific story makes the photos outclass themselves!

=D> =D>
--- felix filicis ---

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Absolutely wonderful story and photos!

JSkory

Post by JSkory »

Nice story and set of pictures Mark.
So I’m curious about how you recorded this drama. How far away was the camera from the wasp? I’m assuming you were sitting close by pressing a remote?

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

quote=JSkory post_id=270946 time=1612563363 user_id=8229]
Nice story and set of pictures Mark.
So I’m curious about how you recorded this drama. How far away was the camera from the wasp? I’m assuming you were sitting close by pressing a remote?
[/quote]

Actually I am right there, laying on the ground, propped up on elbows, and holding the camera with a 100mm macro lens. So 3 - 6 inches away, depending on width of the field in view.
What helps me in this is that both wasp and flies are very intent on their business, and were indifferent to my presence.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

JSkory

Post by JSkory »

Nice! Mirrorless camera? Or doesn’t the sound of the shutter bother them?

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

JSkory wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:04 pm
Nice! Mirrorless camera? Or doesn’t the sound of the shutter bother them?
Thank you. Just a basic DSLR body (Canon T5i), Canon 100mm macro, and a Kuangren flash. I haven't seen where camera sounds tend to disturb insects. The flash certainly can, but in this case they showed no reaction to me at all.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

Most interesting photographs and story ... thanks for posting

dunk
And now for something completely different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic