...still macrophotos with wide-angle perspective...

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Tonikon

...still macrophotos with wide-angle perspective...

Post by Tonikon »

Hi everyone,
same setup (wide-angle macro DIY lens), different pictures: an isopod and a small crab spider.
As usual, not very sharp and a bit aberrated, but very prospective.
I also take this opportunity to give you all my best and warmest wishes for the festive period.
Toni
Attachments
Thomisus onustus.jpeg
Armadillidium.jpeg

Scarodactyl

Re: ...still macrophotos with wide-angle perspective...

Post by Scarodactyl »

These are really cool! I feel like I'm in the 90s again. And at web resolution on my phone they look phenomenal, so I'll just take your word on the pixel peeping.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Really good. What lens do you use please? (I cannot find the post.)

Best, John

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:31 pm
These are really cool! I feel like I'm in the 90s again. And at web resolution on my phone they look phenomenal, so I'll just take your word on the pixel peeping.
Yes! At web resolution they look great...at 100% view they aren't really bad, but corners are a bit aberrated. But don't worry: the project is just started! :)

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

dolmadis wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:56 am
Best, John
Hi John...these pictures was made with a DIY lens deeply modified starting from a common C-Mount pinhole lens, radically adjusted to achieve coverage and focal distance compatible with the m4/3 format...

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

That's the culprit, right there!
Attachments
WideAngle Macro Lens.jpg

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Tonikon wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:52 am
dolmadis wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:56 am
Best, John
Hi John...these pictures was made with a DIY lens deeply modified starting from a common C-Mount pinhole lens, radically adjusted to achieve coverage and focal distance compatible with the m4/3 format...
Interesting .............deep modifications and the radical adjustments please? You have left a cliff hanger !!

Thanks

BR

John

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

Hi John...you are right!
I was largely vague because I don't quite remember the exact modifications. In fact, they were quite random and without following a project: I shortened the lens tube, varying the distance between the different groups of inner lenses, increasing the coverage and adjusting the focal distance by attempts. Focusing (which is fixed in these lenses) is achieved with a focusable adapter cannibalized.
The main advantage of this Wile Coyote lens is to be able to bring the front lens of the objective (cone-shaped) very close to the subject, obtaining a wide-angle macro perspective, otherwise impossible.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Really interesting stuff! Is that a Pixco helical extension tube at the base? That could provide variable focus.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

Hi Mark,
it is an adapter built by an italian artisan (Adriano Lolli), but it works as the Pixco one.
This is the link to the adapter: https://www.adrianololli.com/articolo.asp?ID=3189

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Tonikon wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:53 am
I shortened the lens tube, varying the distance between the different groups of inner lenses, increasing the coverage and adjusting the focal distance by attempts. Focusing (which is fixed in these lenses) is achieved with a focusable adapter cannibalized.
The main advantage of this Wile Coyote lens is to be able to bring the front lens of the objective (cone-shaped) very close to the subject, obtaining a wide-angle macro perspective, otherwise impossible.
I have been reading around to try and find a methodology to lead me further into this subject and I came across this fairly recent article which was of interest to me.

https://petapixel.com/2020/01/27/buildi ... acro-lens/  

The reference to "The Triangle of Balance" and explanations of its application I hope are helpful to me and others who are searching for a starting point !!

I assume that working with M43 and AP-SC means that a lower F/L lens in the region of 9mm/12mm is also the way to go in thinking about DIY design and modification in those formats. 

Best, John

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

Hello John,
First of all, thank you very much for the very useful article you linked: I will read it very carefully.
I too have been playing around with various CCTV lens + Relay lens solutions for a long time and have also achieved encouraging results, but in the end I abandoned the project due to lack of time to experiment and directly used pinhole lenses with optical design modifications.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Small world. I just came across the same web site about building a wide angle macro.
There is this fairly detailed CCTV fish-eye lens based design from John Hallman: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallm ... 592459772/ You. can find details in his 'first comment' and at the other link in translatable Swedish. I happen to already have pretty much all the components to build one, including the Meike reversing adapter, a decent wide angle prime lens, and a bunch of adapters. I would need to get a CCTV lens.
Here is some random but kind of useful info about CCTV lenses: https://www.ifsecglobal.com/installers/ ... explained/.
So hmmm...
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Tonikon wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:54 am
That's the culprit, right there!

I have a pinhole lens coming in the next month or so. A Cosmicar 9mm 3.4.

So I wonder if you might be able to give me some measurements of the adjusted/final finished position of your configured lens?

Thank you if you can without damaging it...............

Overall Length of your modified lens before you added the helicoid?

What is the closed and fully extended length of your helicoid?

Any other spacers?

At what relative positions are the lens groups now placed?

Did you shorten any of the dismantlable tubes?

Did the lens start at a described 9mm or 6.2 or ?

BR, John

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

Hello John,
I started from a 9mm pinhole (I don't remember the brand ... maybe Computar), but it was the angled version ... I eliminated the prism and reassembled it all making some changes that I don't remember well. However, if you have a NIkon 1 camera (even a modest V1 or, better, a J5) thanks to its 1" sensor you can use your pinhole lens directly as it is, without any modification ... only with an adapter. The 6.2mm I'm afraid it has too little coverage ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic