Wasp 20x

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fofx

Wasp 20x

Post by fofx »

I'm new to this forum and extreme macro in general. I decided to dive in about a month ago and have been having a lot of fun since then. I found a used Mitutoyo 20x M Plan Apo on eBay and have been happy with its performance so far. I was worried about the quality of the objective since Mitutoyo's are known to be fragile. I have a lot to learn about pinning insects and cleaning them, so I hope to improve my shots over time.

Here's a link to the image:
edit (better link): https://i.ibb.co/fDg1S36/2020-07-08-15- ... ing1-2.jpg

What do you all think?
Last edited by fofx on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Wasp 20x

Post by rjlittlefield »

Welcome aboard!

The image looks good. I struggled a little to figure out how to see it at full quality but finally figured out a roundabout method and then a short one.

The short method is to visit this URL: https://i.ibb.co/fDg1S36/2020-07-08-15- ... ing1-2.jpg

That will access an image of size 13 MB at full camera resolution, 8168 x 5442 pixels from a Nikon D850.

--Rik

Sym P. le

Post by Sym P. le »

That's a pretty good start for a new endeavour. When I read the title of your post, I didn't anticipate much new to be seen but indeed there was. I am intrigued by the fine setae and the pits in the cuticle that host them. Well done.

fofx

Post by fofx »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:51 am
Welcome aboard!

The image looks good. I struggled a little to figure out how to see it at full quality but finally figured out a roundabout method and then a short one.

The short method is to visit this URL: https://i.ibb.co/fDg1S36/2020-07-08-15- ... ing1-2.jpg

That will access an image of size 13 MB at full camera resolution, 8168 x 5442 pixels from a Nikon D850.

--Rik
Thanks for digging that link up. I edited my original post to include yours instead.

fofx

Post by fofx »

Sym P. le wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:42 am
That's a pretty good start for a new endeavour. When I read the title of your post, I didn't anticipate much new to be seen but indeed there was. I am intrigued by the fine setae and the pits in the cuticle that host them. Well done.
Thank you. My first few stacks had bad diffusion so it took many attempts through trial and error to figure out what worked best for me. I find it incredible how much light diffusion can affect the quality of the image. The little hairs on its face and body were unexpected, I didn't realize there would be so many.

As for the quality of the image. Does anyone have insight on if this lens is performing well? I can see that it gets softer in the corners, but I'm unsure if it's excessive or up to par.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Wow, I'd be happy with that performance.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

A very good picture! Welcome aboard.
You can find links about how to clean mounted insects. I see nothing wrong with doing some cleaning with a picture editor. A cloning brush, a healing tool, and in maybe 20 minutes this picture would be immaculate.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

fofx

Post by fofx »

Thank you all. Glad you enjoyed my first upload.

hayath

Post by hayath »

That's a great start! Good light, detail and color

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic