Bee feeding on dandelion

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dassi

Bee feeding on dandelion

Post by Dassi »

Hi, this is my first post. Thanks for having me in the forum. I am inspired by the quality of images I have seen here and am looking forward to learning any tips and tricks that may be offered.
This shot was taken with a Canon T3I and Sigma 18-250mm lens zoomed to 250mm with a Raynox 250. Flash is a Yongnuo YN560-II with a DIY diffuser.
Bee feeding on dandelion.jpg
Last edited by Dassi on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aveslux

Re: Bee feeding on dandelion

Post by aveslux »

Nice work, good job on achieving eye focus on a feeding bee!

Dassi

Post by Dassi »

Thank you for your comment.
I am trying to figure out why my picture looks so strangely orange on this forum? Please forgive me as I am new to posting on forums but I am not sure what I did wrong. I have a calibrated monitor on my PC and the picture does not look like that. I have posted a full-size JPEG on Flickr and it looks fine. I used photoshop to resize this picture to conform to the forum guidelines and previewed it before posting and it looked normal on my monitor and on the forum preview before posting. Then as soon as I hit the submit button the image changed and suddenly became more orangy and contrasty. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Dassi wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:03 pm
I am trying to figure out why my picture looks so strangely orange on this forum?
This looks like a strange problem with the color profile. The file contents say that it is using ProPhotoRGB, but the colors look more realistic if the pixel values are interpreted as sRGB. On my system the colors look very orange and contrasty both in browser and in Photoshop. Only the thumbnail in Windows File Explorer looks natural. If I drag-and-drop the file into Photoshop, the thumbnail looks natural during the drag, but then as soon as Photoshop displays the image, it goes orange.

If you still have the exact file that you uploaded, please send that to me as an email attachment, to rj.littlefield@computer.org . I expect the upload process would store a bit-identical copy, but I want to check that. (I have already checked that the downloaded copy is bit-identical to what is in our file store.)

As a general rule, it is far safer to be sure that the color profile of all images is sRGB, before uploading to any website. Browsers are a lot better at honoring color profiles than they used to be, but I still consider anything except sRGB to be risking confusion.

--Rik

Dassi

Post by Dassi »

Thank you so much for your help, I didn't realize that my settings weren't set to sRGB that made all the difference!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic