Plants and Springtails

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Sym P. le

Plants and Springtails

Post by Sym P. le »

Seeing as I'm new here, I thought I'd post a few images with full crops. I've been playing with a TU Plan 10x hosted by various bellows, enlarger or standard classic lenses from 100mm and down on a micro four thirds Olympus. This is an excellent field set up. There is no doubt that TU Plans are serious business. I don't mind the vignetting for species id.

These images are lit with the on board flash directed with paper. The springtail is on a mushroom stalk and the lighting was impeded by the cap.

Geranium robertianum

Entomobrya triangularis
Last edited by Sym P. le on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Very nice, especially the geranium. The vignetting of the springtails is a bit distracting but you still have nice details.

You say you have the TU Plan on bellows, but aren't they infinity-corrected? Maybe yours is an old one?

AJCann

Post by AJCann »

Springtail is Entomobrya albocincta.
--
AJ Cann.

Sym P. le

Post by Sym P. le »

Lou Jost wrote:You say you have the TU Plan on bellows, but aren't they infinity-corrected? Maybe yours is an old one?
I was trying to say that I was experimenting with a variety of tube lenses, including vintage bellows lenses. I don't recall the setup for these images.

While on the topic of bellows lens, a curious thing I discovered is that the 100mm Minolta short mount bellows lens mounts for infinity focus with the oddball length Minolta extension tubes (14 and 28mm) while the 50mm mounts directly.

Sym P. le

Post by Sym P. le »

AJCann wrote:Springtail is Entomobrya albocincta.
I see a better match with Entomobrya triangularis. I posted an image to bugguide for Frans Janssens to weigh in.

Edit: Frans Janssens concurs, E. triangularis.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic