A Fine Young Cannibal

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

A-PeeR

A Fine Young Cannibal

Post by A-PeeR »

I have been photographing Damselflies for a few years now and have seen my fair share of territorial defenses. One damselfly defending hunting airspace. This ends with the dominant damsel chasing the intruder off and returning to its perch.

I witnessed something I have never seen before. The intruder was snagged midair by the larger defender and hauled off for a meal. It was a struggle for the blue victor to lift the prey up to a nearby plant. I quickly honed in, drew focus, and fired off a shot. I feel quite fortunate to have captured a decent image as there was a slight breeze swaying the leaf. The damsel took flight right after the flash fired. It strained to fly deeper in the brush. I tracked it through dense vegetation near the edge of the bayou bank hoping to get another shot but the Damsel finally rested on a reed in the bayou well out the MP-E 65mm focal range.

Image Specs - Canon 1D MKIV, MP-E 65mm @ 1:1, f/13, SS 1/250. ISO200, MT-24EX with DIY diffuser.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I think you did spectacularly well to get that shot!

These guys don't exaclty betray a lot of emotion, do they, but the eye of the victim here is telling.
Well done!
Chris R

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Nice! Good to remember that these delicate-looking insects are really predators.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

A-PeeR

Post by A-PeeR »

ChrisR wrote:I think you did spectacularly well to get that shot!

These guys don't exaclty betray a lot of emotion, do they, but the eye of the victim here is telling.
Well done!
Thanks Chris - I felt very fortunate to have captured the moment. Yes the eye is telling as are the legs folding - as in utter defeat.

Best regards - William

A-PeeR

Post by A-PeeR »

MarkSturtevant wrote:Nice! Good to remember that these delicate-looking insects are really predators.
Thank you Mark, predators indeed. I like to watch them in the spring when the gnats, small flies and mosquitos first come out. Not uncommon to see a damsel catch 10 to 15 in an hour.

Best regards - William

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic