One day adventure on Åland Island

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Almblad

One day adventure on Åland Island

Post by Almblad »

Think it's the first time I post something of my own. I'm amazed by the quality of everyone's picture in this forum so I get scared to try and post some picture from myself. But I have taken the bull by it's horn and posting some picture from last year.

ImageLarinioides cornutus by almblad, on Flickr
Larinioides cornutus

ImageTimberman Beetle by almblad, on Flickr
Acanthocinus aedilis

ImageTipuloidea by almblad, on Flickr
Some kind of Tipuloidea

ImageDSC_0216 by almblad, on Flickr
Have no idea what kind of fly this is :D

It's a shame that "most" of our insects in Scandinavia is all brownish colour, well at least they I have got my eyes on so far.

Thanks for stopping by.

pontop

Post by pontop »

You have nothing to be scared off - I think your pictures are very good.
Care to share some details of equipment used? Lens, lighting?

/Bo

canonian

Post by canonian »

Hello Patrik, welcome to the forum.
We've connected via Flickr and I have a seen your work and your 'Uppsättning'; very nice pictures.
I presume the last photo is a dronefly...

Edit: Typo
Last edited by canonian on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mirrorlessmacro

Post by Mirrorlessmacro »

great series! You have very nice insects in Finland. :)
For more of my work, please visit mirrorlessmacro.blogspot.com

Almblad

Post by Almblad »

pontop wrote:You have nothing to be scared off - I think your pictures are very good.
Care to share some details of equipment used? Lens, lighting?

/Bo
Of course, I used a Nikon D300s with a 105mm Nikkor macro lens + a Raynox DCR-250 attached and a homemade flash diffuser. Have a picture of my rig that I usually use on the field. Also using a somewhat modified gorillapod, drilled one hole in each of the feets and attached a crocodile clip on each one, works like a charm.

ImageHomemade by almblad, on Flickr
canonian wrote:I presume the last photo is a dronefly...
Think there's one or a couple of more picture of the same fly on my flickr account. So bad with name on insects so far, spiders I'm starting to get a hang on.

Thanks your words.

pontop

Post by pontop »

That modified gorillapod is indeed useful. I made one last year after seeing it on John Hallméns page: http://makrofokus.se/blogg/2012/7/3/gorillazilla.html

CBarberie

Post by CBarberie »

I think they are great photos. I just bought my first real camera back in July 2014 and I had no experience in photography except point and shoot. I have gotten some good help from people on this forum. So keep posting and ask questions.

Almblad

Post by Almblad »

pontop wrote:That modified gorillapod is indeed useful. I made one last year after seeing it on John Hallméns page: http://makrofokus.se/blogg/2012/7/3/gorillazilla.html
Go my idea from him also, went on a workshop with Hallmén a couple of month ago and he showed a few tips and tricks. Mine isn't not as well made but it does the trick, superglue can make miracles :) He also recommended Zerene and it's on that way I found this forum, and man there is a lot of information and guides here, and not forget all the nice folks around.
CBarberie wrote:I think they are great photos. I just bought my first real camera back in July 2014 and I had no experience in photography except point and shoot. I have gotten some good help from people on this forum. So keep posting and ask questions.
My point exactly, can't evolve if your not out and take picture. It's a shame not all picture becomes a masterpiece :lol: And as you said there is ton of information and guides.

It's amazing that people around the world comes together and are eager to try and help each other to become better photographer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic