Exhibition Anyone?

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkB1

Exhibition Anyone?

Post by MarkB1 »

I am thinking of getting a gallery (or other) exhibition together here in Brisbane and I was wondering if anyone here has done this and can offer any advice/info/links?

I would need a good printing service at least - the mounting and framing I can probably do myself - keeping costs down.

Any ideas, comments, criticisms, amusing or scary stories?

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Mark,

I work almost entirely with transparencies but, 20 (?) years ago, considered having some large reversal prints made for such a venture.

I made some enquiries at our local town hall rooms, which put on such diplays. My recall of the exact response is rather vague now but:

a) I would have to wait a year or more due to prior bookings

b) It was expensive

c) All I would get was the room, no equipment/help.

d) There was some catch over any sales. I don't remember the details but it was something like sales had to go through their office, after the exhibition, and they wanted a cut.

Not very helpful but it may contain some useful warnings.

Good luck!
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

Thanks Harold. I appreciate the warnings. It's the kind of thing that happens when money is god.
Harold Gough wrote:Mark,

I work almost entirely with transparencies but, 20 (?) years ago, considered having some large reversal prints made for such a venture.

I made some enquiries at our local town hall rooms, which put on such diplays. My recall of the exact response is rather vague now but:

a) I would have to wait a year or more due to prior bookings

b) It was expensive

c) All I would get was the room, no equipment/help.

d) There was some catch over any sales. I don't remember the details but it was something like sales had to go through their office, after the exhibition, and they wanted a cut.

Not very helpful but it may contain some useful warnings.

Good luck!

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Mark,

You may find some ideas regards presentation at link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallmen/5505957612/

Do you have a particular venue in mind?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

Not really, just thought I'd do local - Redland Bay Art Gallery maybe. Have only just determined to explore the idea and I don't know anything about it.

That looks good in a dark room, Johns work.
Craig Gerard wrote:Mark,

You may find some ideas regards presentation at link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallmen/5505957612/

Do you have a particular venue in mind?

Craig

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

So far.

This is not the only forum I have posted this subject and the idea forms according to the diversity of information I get from many sources, and my own predisposition.

First of all there is a general idea, do an exhibition. Then as information comes in the idea forms, it's an organic or intuitive process of elimination and not subject to a timetable or pre-conditions, and certainly not to anyone's expectations.

And, it could be a year or so before I get into the gallery that fits. But you never know ...

For anybody that is interested, this is the idea so far. Get the car fixed ...

AFAIK I have the right help on printing and framing. I won't know how many pix or what sizes I'll do until I see the space but it'll probably be a series of/on native bees, with narrative. Local council is probably best re cost if they have a gallery or other space, as long as you're not looking to become famous. Local papers may do a spread to advertise it free, because it's local. I think local is best for local work and mine is about the wonder and beauty of our local bio-diversity. I can't see the value of exhibiting with other artists unless you can piggyback on their appeal and there is no clash of subject or style or merit, otherwise solo has no distractions or conflict over layout or presentation - in the same way you don't want distractions in a picture, unless they belong.

It's a good idea to see a few exhibitions for the general idea of presentation, but too much and your own creativity can be intruded upon - same goes for information, both positive and negative. Too much thinking or emotion stifles creativity, and can cause problems.

And when all is said and done it's a matter of will. It takes will to do what you haven't done before. And then if the idea isn't embraced by The Will it was just passing.

We'll see, it's still in process.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Mark,

Do you really want to present the images 'framed'?

Craig

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

I don't know, why not? How else?

Do you really want to present the images 'framed'?

Craig

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Mark,

Framing is expensive and people generally prefer to choose their own frames and mat board dimensions. They are more likely to purchase or order an image separate to the cost of the frame.

What size(s) prints are you intending to display?

There are a number of ways to exhibit your images (virtually frameless), either in print or electronically; but what is the motivation/mood .i.e. presentation, exhibition, education, soothe and awe?

Venue/image lighting is an important consideration. If they do not have the appropriates lights, you will need to bring such lights with you. Accurate colour reproduction is recommended, some 'room' lights do not provide such results. Track lighting and Solux illumination should achieve the desired outcome.

When you envision the exhibition, what key points pass through your mind, with regard to atmosphere, ambience and presentation? How do you see viewers navigating the exhibition? (floorplan)

Craig

MarkB1

Post by MarkB1 »

My car is dead at the moment so have yet to see the possible space would be showing in, and waiting for reply from gallery dir. Sizes up to 24" X 36" available at near cost and I'd prefer a large/proportionate matt/border - maybe dark and matching narrow frame - for the native bees I've been doing. Thing about printing and framing is I have been offered them at near cost, so ... Though I am not yet committed to anything yet. I need to see something in front of me to proceed ... Basically I want to present the best I can.

The idea is to educate the practical nature of bees, their essential function, the way nature is without a problem that only occurs in human nature, the simple beauty of the overlooked, the peace of mind by method - an instructive introduction with a start and finish point, maybe - something I have to 'articulate' for the 'exhibition' but not far off what I do on my blog. It will come together.

Framing is expensive and people generally prefer to choose their own frames and mat board dimensions. They are more likely to purchase or order an image separate to the cost of the frame.

What size(s) prints are you intending to display?

There are a number of ways to exhibit your images (virtually frameless), either in print or electronically; but what is the motivation/mood .i.e. presentation, exhibition, education, soothe and awe?

Venue/image lighting is an important consideration. If they do not have the appropriates lights, you will need to bring such lights with you. Accurate colour reproduction is recommended, some 'room' lights do not provide such results. Track lighting and Solux illumination should achieve the desired outcome.

When you envision the exhibition, what key points pass through your mind, with regard to atmosphere, ambience and presentation? How do you see viewers navigating the exhibition? (floorplan)

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic