Harvestmen of Ecuador cloud forest part 1

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pbertner

Harvestmen of Ecuador cloud forest part 1

Post by pbertner »

Yellow Gonyleptid? harvestman:

Reddish Gonyleptid? harvestman:

Same harvestman exposed to 365nm wavelength (UV) light:

Cosmetid harvestman with food:

UV fluorescent harvestmen:

Harvestman with moth:

Under UV:

I had already known that material in the chitin of scorpions fluoresced when exposed to UV light, however, thanks to Techuser on flckr for the idea of using UV on harvestmen. Here shows the use of a tripod using 15 and 30 second long exposures, while minimizing ISO's to 100-400. The results are much cleaner than previous attempts. Here, any movement will result in fairly poor results. UV light was in the 365nm wavelength. This provides a more naturalistic lighting that minimizes the purple colour cast of 400nm + wavelengths, though the latter definitely have an interesting look. Furthermore this wavelength seems to make create a brighter fluorescence, enabling shorter exposure times. The reason is a little unclear though. Some insects see in UV and so it might help in species differentiation or mate selection. Snakes, birds and other predators can also see in UV so perhaps the brightness reflects aposematism in nocturnal predators in a similar way to how bright colours in the visible spectrum do to diurnal predators. Harvestmen use a variety of defenses including aposematism, stridulation and chemical defenses to ward off predators and so it seems feasible that such fluorescence might fulfill a similar role. Though the accentuation of patterns on the dorsum and posterior might be more reflective of mate selection since many harvestmen will perch up high and with relatively poor vision, such brightness might help them find a mate.

Some other insects that I have found to reflect UV are some leaf mimicking katydids, centipedes (Scolopendra), some crab backed orbweavers (Micrathena sp.), some caterpillars, scorpions, some stick insects, some grasshoppers/katydids...quite a broad spectrum really. Though like mimetism UV fluorescence seems to change with the life cycle, either becoming stronger of weaker with age depending on the species. For example one individual of a possible new genus of millipede that I found fluoresced red under UV. But others didn't.

All Found during night hikes in Bellavista cloud rainforest reserve, Ecuador.

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Paul, you're certainly managing to cover unusual ground in all respects: geographic, ecological, and technique. Thanks for sharing!

A brief reminder/explanation for readers who are new to our forum...

Photomacrography.net has a normal limit of 6 images per day in the image galleries. However, Paul is posting from "on location" where his Internet access is pretty sporadic. In light of the unusual situation, I've given him a special exemption to make long posts occasionally. When he gets back to a place where it's more feasible, he'll go back to posting smaller sets more frequently, so as to stay within the letter of the guidelines as well as their spirit.

--Rik

twebster

Post by twebster »

Paul, I like all of your images. These are some pretty wild looking harvestmen. I've never seen harvestmen with so many spines and with such large pedipalps. I find the images made with UV light to be somewhat eerie and attractive at the same time. Thanks for a nice series of photos. :)
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

A very enlightening post. No pun intended.

Interesting effect in #7, on the shadow side from the light, the spines do not seem to be fluorescing, or giving the effect the part that does fluoresce, is only on the surface of the chitin.

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks Guys, glad you all like them!
Ecuador has some of the wildest harvestmen I've seen and in abundances that overrun all other insects.
Mitch it is probably a result of the UV light not reaching to the shadow side. The technique is kind of like painting with light, you trace the object with the UV flashlight and any parts you miss or do not expose sufficiently won't show up or will be darker than the rest.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Very clever work and great results. I'm impressed by the thinking behind these images. Very nice to see.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic