Robber Fly eyes (field stack)

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gmazza

Robber Fly eyes (field stack)

Post by gmazza »

With the passage of a cold front some nice (below 15ºC) temperatures slowed down the life and was possible to take shoot sequences of the asilidaes.

This one is a stack from 8 shoots, with Canon MP-E 65mm @ 5x and f/4, taken handheld as it was landed in a stable wood much better than the usual leafs.

It has some out of focus rings, and is no match for studio stacks with microscope objectives, but is a live thing and the resolution is enough for detail at larger omantidia.

Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Excellent! Striking illustration of the difference between small and large ommatidia in different parts of the eye.

I assume that "out of focus rings" means that some of the focus steps were too large. I will have to take your word for this -- I have looked closely but at this image size I cannot see them.

--Rik

mark_h

Post by mark_h »

It is so rewarding to get a stack in the field, just such a feeling of accomplishment. Good work

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Wonderful field stack of a Holcocephala Gustavo; congratulations!

Eric

LordV

Post by LordV »

Wonderful stack - came out well.
Brian V.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

Thank you, is very good so much positive feedback about the image
rjlittlefield wrote:I assume that "out of focus rings" means that some of the focus steps were too large. I will have to take your word for this -- I have looked closely but at this image size I cannot see them.

--Rik
Exactly, by "focus rings" I was refering to focus steps, I send unsharpened tiffs to zerene stacker and sharpened in GIMP after the final result, I think the sharpening minimized the focus steps parts, but i'm not sure if this workflow is the more recomended or if it's better to send sharpened tiffs to zerene.

This one was stand for about 2 min wich allowed 7 sequences, the sequence at f/3.2 wasn't as good as f/4 as the focus steps were even more noticeable, there is a diagonal composition I will upload after a careful retouch.
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic