Another Critter Mix Part IX

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Another Critter Mix Part IX

Post by Dalantech »

I have been going through my back catalog looking for images to edit now that the rain and cold has settled in. This is the "cropped set" since each of these photos were cropped in post. The first one quite heavily, and I am surprised at how well the detail held up. I have been keeping the aspect ratio the same as the original image, and Photoshop Elements is automatically up-scaling the images so that they are still 6000x4000 pixels (24MP) after cropping.

I shot this Thick Legged Flower Beetle (Oedemera nobilis) foraging for pollen. It would hold on to Poppy anthers with its front legs and then use its mouth parts to scrape out pollen.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageForaging Thick Legged Flower Beetle by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Overcast skies and intermittent rain set up the perfect conditions to go looking for a lethargic critter to photograph. I found this semi-active Sweat Bee on a Buttercup flower and when it would stop moving I'd look for a good angle to take a shot.

Shot taken in Bacoli, Italy in May of 2019.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to around 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, 0 FEC. This is a single, cropped, frame taken hand held.

ImagePollen Covered Sweat Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Back in March of 2020 I found a male Red Mason Bee resting on a Sourgrass flower. Image taken in Bacoli, Italy.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to around 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX RT (E-TTL metering with -1/3 FEC). This is a single, slightly cropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageRed Mason Bee on a Sourgrass Flower by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I found this 22 Spot Ladybug covered in dew on one of the Sunflowers last summer. Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in July of 2021.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX RT (E-TTL metering with -1/3 FEC). This is a single, slightly cropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageDew Covered 22 Spot Ladybug by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I still intend to do all of my composition and framing with the view finder, but crop in post if I think a tighter frame looks better.

zook

Re: Another Critter Mix Part IX

Post by zook »

nice portraits as is usual from you...

Dalantech

Re: Another Critter Mix Part IX

Post by Dalantech »

zook wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:53 am
nice portraits as is usual from you...
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic