Another Critter Mix Part VI

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Another Critter Mix Part VI

Post by Dalantech »

I went looking for something to photograph and found a Hoverfly feeding on Dandelion pollen that was more hungry than afraid. If you look closely you can see how it wraps its mouth parts around an anther in order to strip pollen from it.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F13, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageFeeding Hoverfly by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I was really surprised to find a female Leaf Cutter Bee foraging for pollen on a Dandelion in late October (2021). I thought they would have been long gone for the year.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F13, 1/200, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageLeaf Cutter Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I found a female Scolia hirta wasp that was more hungry than afraid. Cool, partly cloudy, weather made for some really good shooting conditions. Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in November of 2021.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F13, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageWasp by John Kimbler, on Flickr

It was cool and partly cloudy so I went out to see what I could find and managed to get close enough to a Gecko on a leaf and take a few frames.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F13, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to about 1.5x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageGecko on a Leaf by John Kimbler, on Flickr

My son Eddy found this lethargic Bumblebee on his way home from school. Cool partly cloudy conditions slowed it down. After chilling on my hand for a while I managed to get it on a Daisy and feed it some Agave nectar.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F13, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to about 1.5x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageFeeding Bumblebee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I had a lot of fun chasing this Mantis with the camera. Even when it stopped walking it would sway back and forth.

Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in September of 2021.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/200, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to almost 3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageMantis Portrait V by John Kimbler, on Flickr

MarkSturtevant

Re: Another Critter Mix Part VI

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Always such fine work!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Re: Another Critter Mix Part VI

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:09 pm