Another Critter Mix Part II

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Another Critter Mix Part II

Post by Dalantech »

My wife found this Mantis in our Lavender in the evening, but I waited until early the next day to shoot it hoping that the cooler temps would slow it down. No such luck though. It was active and difficult to photograph. Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in September of 2021.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageMantis Portrait by John Kimbler, on Flickr

ImageMantis Portrait II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

A group of Sweat Bees set up camp in one of my Geranium flowers. They like to sleep under the leaves in groups, and the plant seems to offer them some good protection. I checked on them after a heavy thunderstorm and they seemed to be OK. They are called Sweat Bees because some of them are attracted to the minerals in your sweat. Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in August of 2021.

Possibly Halictus sexcinctus.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageResting Sweat Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This is a European Wool Carder Bee (Anthidium florentinum) that was snoozing in my Lavender. For this shot I focused on the leading edge of the bee's face and then twisted my wrist to push the top of the frame deeper into the scene. The result is a "magic angle" that creates the illusion that there is a lot of depth. Those three orbs on the critter's forehead are simple eyes, and it is thought that they are used to help maintain stability while flying.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to around 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. I used an artificial flower to keep the background from being black.

ImageSnoozing European Wool Carder Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

On windy days critters like this Sweat Bee do not notice when I grab onto the stem of the Sourgrass Flower that it is foraging in. So I was able to get a shot of her collecting pollen. Image taken in Bacoli, Italy in April of 2020.

Halictidae Lasioglossum

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC, second curtain sync). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageForaging Sweat Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

DavyC

Re: Another Critter Mix Part II

Post by DavyC »

Great stuff! The diffused lighting works really well.

The Mantis could be straight out of a 50s sci-fi scare em movie poster.

Well done!

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

DavyC wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:12 am
Great stuff! The diffused lighting works really well.

The Mantis could be straight out of a 50s sci-fi scare em movie poster.

Well done!
Thanks!

Saul

Post by Saul »

1st one - incredible !
Saul
μ-stuff

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

very nice :smt041

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

Saul wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:03 pm
1st one - incredible !
Thanks!

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Another great set!
For praying mantids, its the males that are especially difficult, while the females can be persuaded to sit still if left alone without stimulus.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:13 pm
Another great set!
For praying mantids, its the males that are especially difficult, while the females can be persuaded to sit still if left alone without stimulus.
Thanks for the feedback!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic