Good 5x lenses

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisLilley

Good 5x lenses

Post by ChrisLilley »

As a side comment in another discussion, I saw:
Charles Krebs wrote: The thing is, as has been discussed before, at 5X there are many good options for lenses, many of which are less cumbersome.
A forum search on 5x gave no hits, though; perhaps the search term is too short, or something. I'm interested in the 3x to 5x area, so what are the good options here? Reading the forum over the last week or two I see lots of great setups, but typically in the 10x-20x range.

I'm on a Nikon system, if that makes a difference, although I assume a bellows would be involved which makes any system somewhat mount-agnostic.

For 1x, by the way, I am using Nikon D90, Nikon PB-4 bellows and Rodenstock APO-Rodagon-D 75mm f/4 in a Leica M39-Nikon adapter. This is a duplicating lens optimized for 1x and usable for 0.8x-1.2x; flat field, imperceptible distortion, well corrected. And a huge image circle, allowing for movements as well.

For greater (but still modest) magnifications I had thought of using reversed enlarger lenses, but the slow maximum aperture (often f/5.6) pushes the working aperture well into the diffraction-limited range past 2x or so.

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

Old Canon 35mm & Olympus 38mm bellows lenses are good for 4x on a bellows.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Olympus 38 mm f/2.8 bellows macro is my personal favorite, see HERE.

Reversed EL Nikkor 50 mm f/2.8 also works well, though not up to the OM. Avoid the 50 mm f/4.

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Good 5x lenses

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisLilley wrote:A forum search on 5x gave no hits, though; perhaps the search term is too short, or something.
Yes, too short.

However, since the forums are now indexed by Google, you can use them to do searches like

5x site:photomacrography.net

Or go through the Advanced Search panel, specifying photomacrography.net in "Search within a site or domain:".

--Rik

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

rjlittlefield wrote:Olympus 38 mm f/2.8 bellows macro is my personal favorite, see HERE.
Paul, Rik; thanks for the pointer. I will look into it. Is the older, f/3.5 one any good?
rjlittlefield wrote:Reversed EL Nikkor 50 mm f/2.8 also works well, though not up to the OM. Avoid the 50 mm f/4.
I have been collecting data on the optimal magnification of assorted enlarger lenses. (Which I could post here if there was interest).

Yes, I understand that the 50/4 and 75/4 are weaker optical designs than the rest of the line-up.

Nikon EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 reversed has an optimal mag of 8x and an acceptable range of 2x-20x. At 8x it would have an effective aperture of 9x2.8=f/25.2, no?

The longer focal length enlargers have lower optimal magnifications, but the amount of extension required then gets a bit drainpipe-like. For example the Nikon EL-Nikkor 240mm f/5.6 has an optimal magnification of 3x, allowable 1x-6x. But 4x240-46.5 is a lot of extension, and f/22.4

Schneider Apo-Componon HM 45mm f/4 is supposed to be a good lens, extension is manageable, but reversed it has an optimal magnification of 6x, with an allowable range of 3x-25x. 7x4= f/28.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Chris,

In that referenced thread we were talking about a 5X Mitutoyo set up with a 210mm Apo Nikkor as tube lens. Works great, but pretty big and clunky for 5X (IMO).

Some other 5X possibilities (in addition to the 38/2.8 Olympus)...

Reversed 40/2.8 Apo Componon HM
Canon 65mm MPE (obviously not for Nikon)
4X Nikon CF Plan Achromat (or the Plan Apo which I don't have :( )
5X Nikon CF M Plan objective
Reversed 28/4 or 35/4 Schneider Componon enlarging lenses
Canon 35/2.8 macro

These I have and use... all provide very good results at 5X. I also have and use reversed 50/2.8 and 63/2.8 El Nikkors, and didn't include them above because at 5X the extension needed is on the long side... longer than the bellows I normally use. For best results they also need to be stopped down at least on stop, preferable 1.5 stops. (They probably perform best overall at 5.6, but that's a little too small to use at 5X). The 40/2.8 Apo Componon HM can be used wide open if desired.

This little 21/3.5 JML lens we've been discussing recently is yet another option. I've just done a few 5X with it and it's really very good. (Working distance is a little on the short side) And for $10!

... and the list could go on. At 5X, one key thing is a lens that will perform well at a "marked" aperture of about f4 or larger (at least on a APS sized DSLR sensor). Too much diffraction if you have to work at (marked) f5.6.

I would probably not put too much importance on the "optimal" magnification of the enlarging lenses (calculated as the reciprocal of the enlargement spec). They will almost all spec to be "optimal" at magnifications where the effective apertures are too small for a DSLR. When you are at 5X (and up) it seems far more important that they are corrected to a degree that allows them to be used at close to maximum aperture.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisLilley wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote:Olympus 38 mm f/2.8 bellows macro is my personal favorite, see HERE.
I will look into it. Is the older, f/3.5 one any good?
Don't know -- I've never had my own hands on one, and I can't recall ever seeing a test report.

--Rik

elf

Post by elf »

How about expanding this to cover .5X to 20X and put it in the FAQ?

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

elf wrote:How about expanding this to cover .5X to 20X and put it in the FAQ?
Hear hear!

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

elf wrote:How about expanding this to cover .5X to 20X and put it in the FAQ?
That would certainly have helped me and will doubtless help others.

dmillard

Re: Good 5x lenses

Post by dmillard »

ChrisLilley wrote: A forum search on 5x gave no hits, though; perhaps the search term is too short, or something. I'm interested in the 3x to 5x area, so what are the good options here? Reading the forum over the last week or two I see lots of great setups, but typically in the 10x-20x range.
Hello Chris,

Here is an older lens survey that you may find useful:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=6415

In addition, like Charlie, I have found the reversed 40mm Apo Componon HM to be a good performer. I've also tested two copies of the Olympus 38mm f/3.5 lens, but found the Canon 35mm f/ 2.8 sharper than both.

David

mgoodm3

Post by mgoodm3 »

I have a Schneider componon 35/4 enlarging lens that works very well in that range.

On the higher end of that range, a Schneider 28/4 will work very nicely.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic