Navitar 6000 6.5:1 zoom macro lens w/ Nikon 10x/0.30 inf obj

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bob^3

Navitar 6000 6.5:1 zoom macro lens w/ Nikon 10x/0.30 inf obj

Post by Bob^3 »

To further the current discussions on possible ways to employ infinite objectives for photomacrography, has anybody seen, own or researched these (recently closed listing):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

What caught my eye was the use of a Nikon 10x NA 0.30 inf, long working distance objective. I’ve been seeing various configurations of these modular Navitar lenses pop-up regularly on eBay---there are currently several active listings. Some have prices well under $100. However, the lower-priced units don’t appear to use microscope objectives, and so likely have lower resolutions.

Another obvious concern is image circle coverage. Many/most of these are configured as zoom lenses for small-format (1/4 inch and 1/3 inch) video cameras. However, at the Navitar web site I found a nice optical configuration wizard HERE. Plugging in some values, I got these results for covering up to 24x16mm sensors:

They claim some impressive resolution numbers and working distances of over 30mm. Did not see the Nikon inf objectives as current modular offerings, they now seem to have switched to Mitutoyo infinites, which are likely even better. And the 6.5:1 zoom capability might be a functional replacement for standard-extension bellows.

This system is similar in concept to the higher-end, highly-regarded, Infinity Long Distance Microscope system used on the Visionary Digital automated stacking system discussed in this older post:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 7eae2ed164

The price was too high for the ‘just buy and see’ approach.

Any opinions on this---good, bad or ugly?

Regards,
Last edited by Bob^3 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob in Orange County, CA

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

I have some of these zoom lenses, but never tested them properly. Vignetting in the corners on an APS-C sensor is indeed a problem, as far as I recall:

http://www.savazzi.net/photography/phot ... enses4.htm

Some people did try to build the Optem 6000 into a high magnification microscope, but not with very good results:

http://prod.sandia.gov/techlib/access-c ... 060906.pdf

Perhaps I should give them another try. They might be good for photomacrography up to perhaps 10x, but probably not more. They are interesting for the high working distance and convenience of zooming, but not much else, especially because of the low NA.
--ES

Bob^3

Post by Bob^3 »

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for the link to your very thorough report. It confirms my reservations about these lenses. From what I saw at the Navitar site, they use a 5x relatively low NA objective and a 2x adapter to achieve 10x total magnification and increase the image circle to the ‘stated’ 29mm coverage. Clearly, as you indicate, the resolution will suffer by use of the 2x adapter and the added zoom elements would not help the situation.

On the other hand, the Infinity K2 might be a better choice at least for lower magnification max 10-20x work…

http://www.visionarydigital.com/IOK2.html

…if one ever comes up on eBay at a reasonable price.

Regards,
Bob in Orange County, CA

bklein

Post by bklein »

Bob,
I bought an Infinity unit, probably pre-K2 not sure, locally off Craigslist.
If you want to get together and try it sometime on your setup I'm up for it. My garage is just too crammed to set things up right now and I'm not sure I have all the adapters to do so.

Barry

Bob^3

Post by Bob^3 »

Barry, I've got exactly the same issue, at the moment. My work bench is completely covered with the components from my x-y-z stage which is all inter-connected to the stepper controller and drives as I test the configuration and program the controller. It was difficult to even perform pre-tests on the JML lens. I don't want to clear the bench until the system is fully tested. So, I can't really make anymore real stacked images until that point. Also, it's a sorry state of affairs when I have to buy items I know I already own, simply because it's easier to find them online or at the local store than to locate them in my store room! :roll:

Is there any model number or other markings on the Infinity unit so it could be researched for specifications. Might be a good first step to see if it has any promise before attempting to find and configure adapters, etc.?

Maybe when we're both a bit more organized, we can get together.

Regards,
Bob in Orange County, CA

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Also, it's a sorry state of affairs when I have to buy items I know I already own, simply because it's easier to find them online or at the local store than to locate them in my store room!
SO glad it isn't just me. But isn't it annoying when you then lose the one you just bought :evil:

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

ChrisR wrote:
Also, it's a sorry state of affairs when I have to buy items I know I already own, simply because it's easier to find them online or at the local store than to locate them in my store room!
SO glad it isn't just me. But isn't it annoying when you then lose the one you just bought :evil:
The really annoying bit is when when you go to put them somewhere sensible and find the previous purchases looking back at you ....
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

:smt044 I plead guilty as well!

When I die and they clean out my garage, my wife and kids will be able to open a store selling lightly used screwdrivers, socket wrenches, and 1/4-20 taps. And there will be two bonus bins... one with 52mm Nikon lens caps and a second with 58mm Canon lens caps.

bklein

Post by bklein »

Bob^3 wrote:
Is there any model number or other markings on the Infinity unit so it could be researched for specifications. Might be a good first step to see if it has any promise before attempting to find and configure adapters, etc.?

Maybe when we're both a bit more organized, we can get together.

Regards,
There is nothing on it that corresponds to a model number but I do have the guy's receipt from Edmund Scientific for over a couple grand... He did signature (handwriting) analysis for law firms. I got his whole setup. It surely was a surprise when I got there - I wan't prepared for it but went out to an ATM and took a chance on it - I also got a copy stand, PB6 bellows, Nikon 105mm Micro, fiber optic illuminator, 50mm Nikon lens, Minolta 50mm lens, computer, monitor, and more. Filled up the back of my Suburban... Originally I was expecting just to get his copy stand for $40.
Ok, whoever cleans his garage first will notify the other. And if there are any other players in OC speak up! :D

Barry

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

bklein wrote:And if there are any other players in OC speak up! :D
OC = Over-Cluttered?

--Rik

bklein

Post by bklein »

Orange County...
A face to face discussion would be so much more productive than a forum one.... I recently joined a local photo club just to see if there were any of "us" there. But no. I admit that most of them know more than I do about Aperature, Photoshop, and in-camera histogram stuff - I just shoot and tweak exposure etc. until I like the picture. I guess I have a couple thousand shots to play with on Photoshop some day...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic