Nikon Objectives on ebay

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Nikon Objectives on ebay

Post by NikonUser »

I'm amazed at the constant supply of Nikon objectives (haven't checked for other makes) that are on ebay. Some of them don't last long.
A MPlan 20x ELWD and a MPlan 20x SLWD with 'Buy It Now' listings lasted about 1 hour before selling; going price around $170.00.

There is still a MPlan 10x listed for $99.99

I'm also curious about how many of these MPlan lenses were made by Nikon, was it thousands or tens of thousands?
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

NB this was the guy from whom I bought an objective which rattled because it had been dismantled and put back together in the wrong order. :(

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Hmm, :? I haven't even got a notification about those MPlans, and can't find them with search for completed listings either! :smt095

Could anyone give me the ebay ##, please?

--Betty

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

A note, on putting the bits in right:
http://books.google.com/books?id=1CmQgc ... gn&f=false

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I have bought quite a bit from diyaudio, all at reasonable prices and all in perfect condition.

This one I know, I bought it!
Item# 120494358808

didn't make a note of the 20x SLWD

The 10x has been sold (you gotta be quick)

There's a 60x ELWD still for sale
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

This one I know, I bought it!
Item# 120494358808

Good for you!
If it ever drops to bits, don't put it together in this order, because it won't work very well!

I'm considering it a work-in-progress, as I have one unmolested, whose performance I can compare it with.

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

NU, thanks for the number! Cor, that was quick indeed. Only 6 had a look at it, one probably the seller himself checking his listing. Very good price you got it for, I'd say.
About a 60x ELWD with a WD of 4.9 mm, I don't know. I want to tackle 20x and 40x first. Good to know from your other work with the culicid that the 10x can be "streched" to 15x still delivering excellent image quality!

Chris, sorry about that rattler, wouldn't you want to ask that seller to take it back?
Fitting this properly together again looks like there's some hardcore plumbing to do. :wink: :)

--Betty

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

10 pieces, of which 3 can go either way up and make a difference, so that's only 29,030,400 combinations. It's on my "to do " list... :wink:

(It's in hand, Betty.!)

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

NU, congratulations--you got a heck of a buy on your 20x ELWD. As others have probably noticed, these don't come up so often, and the last one I saw (a couple of weeks ago) went for over $600. One of mine, I paid $500 for. Good show!

Betty, I have a 60x ELWD, but haven't worked enough with it to offer a useful opinion. My rig is steady enough to use it easily. In shots of a (flat, obviously) stage micrometer it appears quite sharp. But in actual (3D subject) use, I've so far gotten some weird color stuff with out of focus points. It may be that I have to adjust my lighting, step increment, or post technique to get the best out of this optic, and haven't figured out the right approach. I have hopes that I'll figure out how to get the best from this optic, because the magnification really appeals to me. The roughly half-centimeter of working distance has not yet been a problem.

Cheers,

--Chris

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

NU wrote:This one I know, I bought it!

Congratulations NU - I think you'll have fun with this lens!

Planapo wrote: About a 60x ELWD with a WD of 4.9 mm, I don't know.
--Betty
Betty,

I've had one of the 60X lenses for just a short while, and taken just a few images (one posted here ), but I agree with Chris S. that the working distance isn't a major problem. What I find more challenging are the sub-micron increment steps needed for stacking.

David

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

David and Chris S., thanks much for your information on the 60x ELWD!

--Betty :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic