Lens Resolution (was 'Nikon Multiphot brings $3,550')

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

This is especially obvious with microscope objectives used for brightfield applications. In this case the objective can essentially be stopped down by adjusting the diaphragm of the illumination condenser.
I'm trying to get my head around whether you could use a condenser to 'adjust the aperture' of a microscope objective while using front illumination, at this point I cannot see how that could work, probably because I don't quite understand how it works in brightfield configuration.

How does the amount of light coming through affect the aperture, or is it not the amount of light but the 'shape' of the light?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It's the "shape". In a microscope, one of the condenser diaphragms adjusts the width of the cone of light that passes through the subject and then through the lens. When that cone is narrower than the aperture of the lens, then the outer part of the lens essentially does not get used. It's almost but not quite equivalent to stopping down the lens. I say "not quite" because diffracted, refracted, or reflected light still has an opportunity to go through the full aperture, as in "darkfield" microscopy. Likewise for light produced in the subject itself, say by fluorescence.

See HERE for an illustration of adjusting the condenser.

With front illumination, most of the light coming back has essentially been absorbed and re-emitted by the subject, so it comes back at all angles. For this light, I don't think there's any way to change DOF by lighting.

--Rik

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

Regarding the original title, high priced Multiphot, I stumbled on a Nikon Epihot-200 Inverted Metallurgical MICROSCOPE on ebay asking $10,000, with a drool-worthy description pasted from a catalog, and a little video clip

100x / 0.90
50x / 0.55
20x / 0.46
10x / 0.30
5x / 0.13

The Versatile EPIPHOT 300 Inverted Metallurgical Microscope:
The Rock Solid Answer to Your Research Needs
A model of technological integration, Nikon's EPIPHOT 3DO combines the superb CF Infinity Corrected Optical System, with a matchless degree of operator comfort, and rock solid stability. Add to this a full range of photomicrographic capabilities- as well as scale imprinting, and you have a cutting edge instrument providing the highest possible optical performance. We think you will agree that the EPIPHOT 3DO is more than the sum of its excellent parts.

2.5X Zoom from 0.8 to 2X
Changes in magnification are simultaneously applied to both observation and photomicrography. The zoom dial click-stops at 1.0,1.25,1.5 magnifications, allowing you to change magnifications without removing your eye from the sample. Built-in Photomicrographic System Permits photomicrography in both the35mm and 4x 5 in. large film formats. 60% integrated average auto exposure photomicrography is possible.

Stable and Reliable
Front and rear support of the stage, a low profile design, and a nose piece focusing system, all make fora super stable, extremely rugged instrument.

CF Infinity Corrected Optical System
An ideal optical system which combines Nikon's renowned CF Optics with Infinity Corrected design for even greater system flexibility. The result is sharp and clear images you can depend on.

enricosavazzi

Re: More reasonable alternative!

Post by enricosavazzi »

Hokan wrote:
NikonUser wrote:Hokan:

Lumiinars with a blue dot marking on them were the last Luminar series to be sold. (Blue dot supposedly identified Luminars that had the latest "treated" optics. Flare, reflectiions, color, etc.) The geometry and glass were the same as earlier Luminars. I have a mixture of both haven't noticed any significant difference. Maybe a half of a stop.
This is just a detail, but the blue vs. other colour was used to indicate the focal length of the lens, not the type of lens coatings. The 63 mm Luminar from all versions use blue color-coding, but on different items (dots, "Luminar" label etc. It is true that the blue-dot 63 mm are the latest, but there may actually be two successive blue-dot versions of this lens, and they could have different coatings:

http://goto.glocalnet.net/savazzi.net/p ... rsions.htm

Regards,
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic