Angel Eyes: simple DIY LED ringlight

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

morfa

Angel Eyes: simple DIY LED ringlight

Post by morfa »

I was cruising around eBay looking for some kind of LED light to make focusing at higher magnifications easier. Stumbled across something called "Angel eyes" that you're supposed to put inside the headlights of your car... :roll:

Fifteen surface mounted LEDs (5 groups coupled in parallell with 3 diods + 1 resistor coupled in series in each group)

They came in many different sizes and I ordered the smallest one they had (60mm diameter). I paid less than €10 for a couple, shipping included.

They are intended for 12V but work fine with a regular 9V battery if you want a very small package. You get a little more output if you short out the resistors like I've done to the one on the right (I guess you could easily replace them with potentiometers if you want to control the different groups separetly):

For convenience I hooked mine up to a 9V battery case with built in on/off switch (cost: €1).

I guess it's pretty obvious how you put these to use but here are some examples anyway:

(yes, that is a Danone bottle :smile:)

Inner diameter happens to fit nicely onto my 39mm extension tubes – a rubberband bushing keeps it "steadyish".

The LED:s emit a very wide light cone so you might want to add a reflector to reduce light loss – on the other hand this can get in the way more if you want to add flashes etc.

Obviously nothing revolutionary here but it's cheap, simple, lightweight and low profile. The downsides are that they aren't very bright and though it's of course perfectly possible to use this as the main exposure lighting you'll end up with fairly long exposures. I use them as focus aid lights though oftentimes a single, bright, narrow beamed LED is more convenient for my kind of photography (in the field when you need to be able to get really close to the ground etc)

/John

PS. if you're interested in giving the ringlights a try– just do an eBay search for "Angel eyes" in the vehicle category.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Good find.

Andrew

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

John,

Like the way you think!

I have a fiber optic ring light that I've been using as a "darkfield" light source by placing it in a box under the subject and cutting an appropriate size aperture in the box top. If I put the input end against a flash unit I can take shots of moving critters. The problem was that with the input end against the flash, there was no ambient light to compose a shot and focus. So I've gotten some of these to use around the outside of the ring-light as the "modeling" light. They come in a variety of sizes, but I can't figure out what the measurement spec if for. I thought it would mean either the diameter of the inner or outer circle, but this is not the case. :smt017

There's an eBay seller that has many very interesting LED pieces. You would probably see some things of interest. Search for items offered by user: measureexplorer

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I've had one of these for some while. 24cm long, 24 0.1" white leds. Very flexible. You can chop one end off if you want. Also you can get it to lie flat with the ends super-glued together, all leds pointing inwards, and lay it on a microscope stage.
Or wrap it round a microscope objective
Or use it in a ring as a darkfield illuminator.
It would be better if it were about 100 times brighter, but hey, it costs nothing.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/u ... trip_1.jpg

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Kauser International are advertising (Amateur Photographer) the "new SENZ Macro Ring Light System" but I can find no trace of it on their website or on the internet.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Kauser tell me that they will update their website within the next couple of weeks.

They sent me a pdf with much the same details as in their ad. The guide number is 3.2 but there is a lower setting (unspecified) available. It covers 90 degrees. It fits 55mm threads, and others via adapters. It looks much like any other ring light (no large reflectors). The control unit sits in the hotshoe.

The "SRP" is £189.99. Less than £190, then! :roll:

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic