Adapter for bellow and microscopy objectives

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

arnsteins

Adapter for bellow and microscopy objectives

Post by arnsteins »

Hi,
I was wondering what kind of adapter I need for my Nikon PM-6 bellow to use the microscopy objectives on it? Any link to a similiar subject in the forum is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Arnstein

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

You need to go from a Nikon F bayonet mount to RMS threads.
Perhaps the most elegant way is with a Nikon F to T-mount and then Beljan adapter to RMS:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... c304536840

Andrew
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

arnsteins

Post by arnsteins »

Thanks Andrew, but i can't find a place to buy the Beljan adapter. Is it any other brand that works good?
-Arnstein

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Go to that eBay auction and click on "ask the seller a question". He might have some he hasn't listed ?

Otherwise:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T2-thread-to-Niko ... 5884a9d8f7

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T2-RMS-adaptor-Lu ... 5d2864d15c

will give you a flat "pancake" mount.

Andrew

arnsteins

Post by arnsteins »

Ok, is ebay the only place where I can get this kind of stuff? I contactet Beljan Manufactory but they were out of stock. If someone has this cone adapter for sale I´m very interested.

Can I use most microscopic objectives with this adapter? Any recommendations?

.Arnstein

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

It is a very nice piece of equipment. A RMS-threaded microscope objective screws directly in.
But, note, the cone adds 55 mm to any other attachment (such as a bellows) on the camera.
With my setup the minimum extension I can get with bellows and this cone is 150 mm; just OK for a 160 mm tube length lens.
Of course, it's fine for a 210 mm TL lens.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

arnsteins

Post by arnsteins »

Ok, thanks NU.
How do I know what objectives to look for? I´ve not tried this before, so I guess I need the basic facts to know what to look for. Thanks for your patience.. :oops:
What kind of objective do I need to get an ants head to fill the frame of my Nikon D700 FX camera? Is 10x enough?

-Arnstein

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Depending on the size of the ant you may not need to go as high as 10x

See below for some info on lenses

HERE

Before you buy any lens it is a good idea to ask here about the usefulness of the lens. You will likely get an answer within an hour.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

arnsteins wrote:Ok, thanks NU.
How do I know what objectives to look for? I´ve not tried this before, so I guess I need the basic facts to know what to look for. Thanks for your patience.. :oops:
What kind of objective do I need to get an ants head to fill the frame of my Nikon D700 FX camera? Is 10x enough?

-Arnstein
Objectives aren't best with an FX camera- they nicely cover a DX sensor but you might find an FX sensor is just a tad too big.

Andrew
rgds, Andrew

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

NikonUser wrote:It is a very nice piece of equipment. A RMS-threaded microscope objective screws directly in.
But, note, the cone adds 55 mm to any other attachment (such as a bellows) on the camera.
With my setup the minimum extension I can get with bellows and this cone is 150 mm; just OK for a 160 mm tube length lens.
Of course, it's fine for a 210 mm TL lens.
If you plan to only work with objectives you might not need a bellows. On my vertical rig I work with objectives mounted on a Beljan on a fixed T-mount tube. The bellows would be a bit too cumbersome. If i want to trim the exact framing I find the crop tool in Photoshop quite useful !.

Horses for courses.

Andrew
rgds, Andrew

arnsteins

Post by arnsteins »

Thanks Andrew. I appreciate your advice. I will need to try it out and see. I just bought a RMS T mount adapter and another adaptor for nikon F mount.
I need to get my hands on one of the objectives and I might be able to borrow one to try.

-Arnstein

OzRay

Post by OzRay »

I hadn't seen this thread before I posted in another one, but here's something I'm working on.

I'm in the process of seeing if one of the Chinese lens adapter makers might be interested in making a microscope objective adapter for bellows use. I've suggested that all that is really needed is a tube that has a C Mount thread on the camera/bellows mount side and an RMS thread on the lens side. By using a C Mount adapter, you can get just about any C Mount to 'Your Camera' adapter to suit, thus making it much simpler to make a universal adapter.

I guess the greater the interest, the more likely something like this can be achieved.

Cheers

Ray

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I presume you meant T mount, not C mount?

--Rik

OzRay

Post by OzRay »

rjlittlefield wrote:I presume you meant T mount, not C mount?

--Rik
No, I meant C Mount. I've got a C mount adapter for my camera that goes onto my scope and the objectives fit body and all into the mount, so it would be very easy to make an adapter that would screw into the C mount and take the RMS mount at the other end. That doesn't mean you couldn't do something else, but this seems to be simplest option.

Cheers

Ray

OzRay

Post by OzRay »

I've had a look at available adapters and it doesn't look C Mount adapters aren't that common, so perhaps another more common one would be better, or such an adapter would need to be made for select brands individually. Maybe an M42 to RMS would be better, as it seems that M42 to Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc are fairly common.

Cheers

Ray

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic