RMS to Leica/Pentax/T2 adapters

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Thanks, Eric. I ordered some of the Protostar material, and it arrived yesterday. Looks great--for lining my RMS cone and a few other applications. Per your advice, I looked through the Beljan cone for flare. To my naked eye, I did indeed see some reflection. So I'll throw some of this light absorbing material into it.

I've seen several instances in which I wanted to reduce the potential for flare, and this material seems ideal for nearly all.

Andrew, thanks for the clear description of the shape needed. Will be lazy and simply copy your approach. Much appreciated.

Best,

--Chris

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Chris S. wrote: Andrew, thanks for the clear description of the shape needed. Will be lazy and simply copy your approach. Much appreciated.

Best,

--Chris
Dry run in scrap paper first :)

Andrew
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

Here's a source for inexpensive plastic adapters on ebay from petemn:

(link to a Buy-It-Now that has ended)

(Admin edit to shorten the displayed form of the URL. The long form was messing up the page format. --Rik)

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Here is an easy (print, cut, trace) pattern for coating your Beljan cone RMS adapter, using Protostar material, to reduce internal flare to nearly nothing:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/TzY3a ... cExIRGc9PQ

The pattern is based on AndrewC's description and my own experiments. Not being gifted with hand tools such as protracters, I made up a pattern using computer drawing tools. I've fitted my Beljan adapter from this pattern and the adapter is now pretty much a black hole without visible flare. Am looking forward to seeing any improvement this makes in the images I produce with it.

Anyone who downloads this pattern need only print it out, cut out the pattern with scissors, trace it onto the Protostar or other light-absorbing material, cut out the Protostar material, and stick it into the Beljan adapter.

Much of this pattern is based on AndrewC's approach--so if there is any credit, most of it goes to him.

If you use this, please check that printer scaling is turned off, so that the pattern prints to the correct size. I included scale bars, so that you can measure your print to make sure scaling is correct.

I have no facility for hosting downloads, other than the link that follows, which expires after one week or 100 downloads, whichever comes first. If anyone would be kind enough to host this file, please feel free--it might be useful to others down the road.

Thanks,

--Chris

Here is the link to the pdf file containing the pattern:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/TzY3a ... cExIRGc9PQ

(Edited by the author for clarity)
Last edited by Chris S. on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Hi Chris - you're making it too easy for everyone :)

I'll stick the file on a page on my website sometime this week and post the link here. I feel duty bound to make up an image of "thick crust pie slice" to put along side it :)

rgds,

Andrew
rgds, Andrew

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Thanks Chris (& Andrew!) for coming up with this nice pattern for the Protostar material --to place in the Beljan RMS cone/ adapter. Looks like it will work great.

Cheers,

Eric

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Thanks, Andrew! But I disagree about the crusty pie--unlike you, I prefer apple.

Eric, thanks for getting me started looking down my optics with bright lights--though like Andrew, I'm now finding more things I want to blacken. I also see quite a bit of shine off the barrel of my 10x, and am going to have a go at coating that, too. Looks doable.

--Chris

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

One thing that comes to mind in regard to using the Protostar for lining the Beljan RMS cone, is the accumulation of dust on the material.

As good as the Protostar material is and with respect of the fact that the material is designed for use with optical gear, should this aspect be a consideration??? :smt102

Klaus wrote:
Inside it should have a rough matted surface, but obviously it does not have it.
The Beljan RMS cone that I have does have a rough matted surface internally that covers approximately two thirds (starting at the RMS end) of the cone.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

augusthouse wrote:One thing that comes to mind in regard to using the Protostar for lining the Beljan RMS cone, is the accumulation of dust on the material.
Scotch tape - double some over your finger tip and pat it around the inside, lifts dust off very easily.
rgds, Andrew

kds315*

Post by kds315* »

I had a few request of that cone shaped adaptor and have directed them to Joe Beljan, who told me today that he is sold out but will shortly make a new batch. Btw. his new email address is: beljanebay AT gmail.com in case someone wants to contact him (replace AT by @ of course then).
Klaus

http://www.macrolenses.de for macro and special lens info
http://www.pbase.com/kds315/uv_photos for UV Images and lens/filter info
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/ my UV diary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic