Speedlight in the fiber optic illuminator?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

ah hah!

Thanks David.

It is simple but beautiful. I like it!

So it doesn't appear to collimate light, when configured for flash output - it just employs the properties of the mirror? Interesting.

Which speedlight do you normally use with it and what would be an average flash output duration 1/4, 1/8th, 1/16th?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

augusthouse wrote: So it doesn't appear to collimate light, when configured for flash output - it just employs the properties of the mirror? Interesting.

Which speedlight do you normally use with it and what would be an average flash output duration 1/4, 1/8th, 1/16th?

Craig
Hello Craig -

I originally used it in TTL mode with a Nikon F4 and an SB24 flash. I now use a Vivitar 283. At 20X, the flash produces a good histogram when used a little above 1/2X, depending of course on the nature of the subject, and also upon the orientation and positioning of the light guides relative to it. The Macro Light originally came with focusing lenses that fit on the end of the light guides; these are now sold separately instead.

David

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

...It's not fair, Novoflex...this is plagiarism downright :D :D
But I'm still dreaming an illuminator where, without shifting, the flash shoots with the shutter and simply overcomes the halogen light.

Ciao

Toni

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Here is another option; providing you want to use the same cable for both output sources and see a good representation of the lighting/subject arrangement prior to shooting with a speedlight.

Depending on the differences in light temperature and other related issues, one source would most likely need to be off and the other on when actually taking the shot.

I don't know if a dual-input FO cable as illustrated is easily available?

All this example is doing is separating the light via the FO cable rather than separating it at the light source.

At the moment, I separate the light source manually by swapping the cable between light sources prior to shooting.

Then, of course, there is the Visionary Digital FX2:
http://www.visionarydigital.com/fx2_info.html
http://www.visionarydigital.com/fx2.html

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic