Pair of 20/4 ELWD M Plans on eBay

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Pair of 20/4 ELWD M Plans on eBay

Post by Charles Krebs »

Here's a heads-up if there is anyone out there who is a real glutton for punishment and wishes to play around with 20X stacks.
Item 120313373631
I don't know anything about the seller. You only need one :wink: but if two of you are interested might be a worthwhile collaboration.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Is anyone else here bidding? As I'd certainly like one of those... Let me know if you're bidding and want to split the lot! If I don't hear from anyone I'll probably go ahead and bid towards the end of the auction, price depending of course!

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I'm interested in one. I suspect they are worth a couple of hundred $ each; I paid $100 for my 10x objective.
I gather from the listing that he sells only to the USA, which leaves me (and you) out. :(
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Hmm and the seller seems to be a bit of a plonker. Not prepared to send outside the US even to someone on ebay for 10 years with 100% good fb, so unless there's a friendly Yank on here who wouldn't mind being an intermediary then we're stuffed...

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Post by Joseph S. Wisniewski »

Punishment Charles? The 20x ELWD was my first "good" objective. I love that little thing. To me, it's always represented the dividing line between the bellows and the microscope, it can sit on either side of the fence with aplomb.
lauriek wrote:Hmm and the seller seems to be a bit of a plonker.
Technically, being a "plonker" is like being "pregnant". You can't be just "a bit of" either. Once you're plonked, you're plonked.:lol:
lauriek wrote:Not prepared to send outside the US even to someone on ebay for 10 years with 100% good fb, so unless there's a friendly Yank on here who wouldn't mind being an intermediary then we're stuffed...

I'm friendly. How high are you prepared to go for them?

"Stuffed"? What language is that you're speaking over there? Can't you speak English, you know, like we Americans do? :lol: :lol:

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Does anyone know, remember, what this lens has sold for in the past; either new or on ebay?
NU.
student of entomology
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.

Joseph S. Wisniewski

I've seen the 20X ELWD go anywhere from $100 to $300. The 40X average about $50 higher, the 60X about $100 higher.

An eBay search for completed auctions shows the last two went for $204.50 and $285.00.

Oddly enough, I paid a lot less for my BD Plan ELWD 20X and 40X, and those are supposedly updated optics wrapped in a BD illumination system. Maybe they sell for less because they're in a 26mm BD mount...

And yes, there's a reason why I own BD Plan objectives. My scope came with a bright field/ dark field epi illuminator, and three BD Plan objectives in a 4 objective BD turret: 5x, 10x, and 20x. These were not ELWD. I like the convenience of ELWD, so I tracked down a BD Plan 20X and 40X, replaced the 20X and added the 40X. The 5X already had plenty of working distance. The 10X is now the least working distance on that turret.

I'm still on the lookout for a 60X or 80X ELWD BD Plan.

One of these days I'm going to load some nice ICs into the scope for test targets, and measure the resolution, CA, and field flatness of every single objective. And then do the same thing on the bellows.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Joseph S. Wisniewski wrote:I'm friendly. How high are you prepared to go for them?

Joseph, that's a very kind offer. I'm prepared to commit to purchasing one. I will send a PM stating how much I'm prepared to pay. Hopefully lauriek is still interested.
NU.
student of entomology

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"Stuffed"? What language is that you're speaking over there? Can't you speak English, you know, like we Americans do?

Yes, how quaint the usage of our language is over your side of the pond Joseph. I said to an American on another site that their picture was "a cracker" and evidently "cracker" is a term of abuse with you Colonials? :lol:

The pejorative use of cracker has disappeared entirely from UK English and it is used over here to mean outstanding, as in the term "she's a cracker" meaning a stunningly beautiful woman. For non-Americans see "Cracker Pejorative" in the following link:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker

As they say "two nations divided by a common language"! :)

DaveW :lol:

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Joseph, apologies I do slip into colloquialisms more than I should on an international site! Mind you you got Plonker okay (I guess we've exported that word along with the Trotters to the rest of the world?) ;)

I'll PM you in a mo! Thanks for the kind offer.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Joseph,
Punishment Charles? The 20x ELWD was my first "good" objective.
This was meant to be a subtle "warning" that making stacked images at 20X (and higher) is not for the faint of heart. The set-up needs greater precision, and the actual combining of images is trickier than is the case when working at lower magnifications.

It was not meant to refer to the quality of the 20/4 CF M Plan. I've posted images made with this lens (both the BD and "regular" versions... the glass is the same), and we've discussed it here before. The image quality is excellent, and that's why I brought this auction to the attention of the forum members. I suspected there might be an interest.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I like "punishment" and the "warning", perhaps it will help prevent readers bidding for the lens.
Somewhat a selfish attitude but with only 2 lenses currently available all I need is just one other interested party. So folks, don't bid on this lens it will cause you no end of heartaches (except you lauriek).
(No offence intended, written with 'tongue in cheek'.)
NU.
student of entomology

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

NikonUser wrote:Does anyone know, remember, what this lens has sold for in the past; either new or on ebay?
Here's a couple of interesting links:

http://www.decarraigoptics.com/objectives.htm

http://www.buntgrp.com/nikon.htm

I picked up an unused 20X ELWD on eBay for about $170, and was so impressed with the image quality and the sweet working distance that I bought another one in similar condition for $200 to have as a backup lens. My CRT monitor has been out for repair, but I finally got it back last week, and hope to start posting some more images made with this lens soon.

Joseph S. Wisniewski

We got outbid. $550.07 for a pair of them. On the other hand, if we hadn't been in there bidding, this "mixerd8b" would have walked away with the pair for $500.

He also put in an additional preemptive bit 40 seconds before the end of the auction, so no one will ever know how high he was actually prepared to go.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic