macro flash units

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

salden

macro flash units

Post by salden »

Looking to buy, but not liking the price of the Canon MR-14EX TTL Macro Ring Lite Flash, but it might be worth it. Another unit I am considering is the Canonn MR-14EX TTL Macro Ring Lite Flash.

Any one have experience with these two and/or recommendations or comments.

I have a 550ex flash unit now. The macro flash will be used with the Canon 100mm 2.8

Thanks
Sue Alden

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Waiting for someone to buy and test one of these for macros:
SEE HERE

P_T

Re: macro flash units

Post by P_T »

salden wrote:Looking to buy, but not liking the price of the Canon MR-14EX TTL Macro Ring Lite Flash, but it might be worth it. Another unit I am considering is the Canonn MR-14EX TTL Macro Ring Lite Flash.
Sorry but aren't those two the same flash you're considering? Perhaps you meant the MT-24EX twin macro flash?

salden

Post by salden »

Yea, PT I did mean the MT-24EX twin macro flash. I am working on my Master's Thesis and my focus was not on my post...I get distracted easily and have to read my proposal over and over to be sure I did not repeat myself. :lol:

The flash unit will be used for the images to be presented in the final thesis, so it needs to be good and a proven asset, if you know what I mean.
Sue Alden

P_T

Post by P_T »

I also considered the ringflash but many have cited a small problem with relatively flat lighting and the inability to control your lighting. With the twin flash, you can move the flash to point at anywhere you desire eg. maybe you want one of the flash to point at the ground just for bounce light instead of directly at the subject.

It seems like Dalantech also had a ringflash prior to his twin flash. Perhaps you can ask him about the pro and con. He replies fairly quick when I mailed him in Flickr.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I don't shoot Canon but there's a similar choice of macro flashes for the Olympus system. I went for the slightly more expensive twinflash over the ring flash as it's supposed to be more versatile.

With the ring all you can do is adjust the power to either side, you cannot angle the flash heads at all, and you get very nice flat lighting, but that can get a bit boring after a while.

With the twinflash you can go for the flat look (though not as flat as the ring without extra diffusion) or you can create shadows where you want by angling one of the heads. You can also point one of the heads out towards the background to throw light on that...

Edited to add I use the twinflash for ALL of my macro shots - outdoor bugs, shrooms, galls, and indoor studio stacks.

salden

Post by salden »

Looks like it is the twin. I need options with my flash unit, so the ringflash does not look like it is something that will make me happy.
Sue Alden

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

As I have mentioned in another string, I have both ring flash and twin macro flash. Ring flash has its uses but reflections are a problem on shiny subjects. Believe it or not, ring (depending on design, my OM T8 with its reflector an example) is more awkward at very close working distances. Twin is more versatile and tends to be more powerful.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Sue,

Dalantech did a short comparison at the link below:

http://dalantech.deviantart.com/art/MR- ... X-85238984

(click on example images to see larger version)

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Gerd

Post by Gerd »

I use a magniflash unit with my Oly E1.Magniflash was developed by a friend of mine,
Sebastian Hess > http://www.magniflash.de.vu/
He uses fiber-opticAE light guides to bring the flash where it is needed, to
the front lens of your objective.
I think, this is a great idea and it works well with moderate costs...
Thanks,
Gerd

salden

Post by salden »

Gerd wrote:I use a magniflash unit with my Oly E1.Magniflash was developed by a friend of mine,
Sebastian Hess > http://www.magniflash.de.vu/
He uses fiber-opticAE light guides to bring the flash where it is needed, to
the front lens of your objective.
I think, this is a great idea and it works well with moderate costs...
Thanks,
Gerd
Now that looks interesting. I sent an email for specifics and prices for my camera system.
Sue Alden

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This does look very interesting!

Sue, please keep us informed.

--Rik

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I looked at the sample images, great for plants. But absolutely disastrous for the Praying Mantis eyes; IMO.

salden

Post by salden »

What I want the flash unit for the most is plants, but I do see what you mean about the eyes.
Sue Alden

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

NikonUser wrote:But absolutely disastrous for the Praying Mantis eyes; IMO.
I'm not sure what's going on with those mantis eyes.

With the mantises that I've photographed, the eyes appear basically light colored except for a small black spot that tracks the camera.

But the one shown on Sebastian's page seems to have two large dark spots that are fixed to the eyes and do not track either the camera or the lights.

I wonder if he happened to run across a mantis with eyes that naturally look much different from what we are used to, and we are mistakenly attributing strange appearances to the lighting. :?

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic