Macro focus rail

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

P_T...

We discussed these about a year ago. There are some pictures of this rail here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=3337

I use the Canon 65mm MP-E, but I am on a tripod most of the time (even when I use flash!). If you ever do use a tripod with this lens this rail is perfect. Using the 65 MP-E on a tripod without a focusing rail is extremely frustrating. I have one that is basically "permanently" attached to my 65mm lens.

Charlie

P_T

Post by P_T »

Hi Charlie, thanks for that link, very useful indeed. I know what you mean by extremely frustrating, I've tried it before. Thankfully now the photos I take without a tripod seem to be decent so that focus rail will have to take the backseat, maybe when I have some extra cash sometime in the future.

A. Georgiou

Post by A. Georgiou »

Thanks for the link Charlie, allot of good info.

Thanks Dave, David for the information on diffusion tents. I might have to experiment with this a bit so I can find, or make a tent that's light weight and portable for long hikes.

Cheers,
Ari
Aristotle Georgiou
Sydney
Australia

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Ari -

I just took a couple of quick shots (a storm was blowing in) of the diffusion tent that I put together. Hope the pictures are helpful.

David

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Just a reminder that, for longer exposures, a wind-break may also be necessary e.g. for flowers. Controlling air movement is much more difficult than you might think.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Once upon a time the vet did something to my beloved dachshund (my avatar on another forum) and tried to prevent him from access to it using a translucent plastic cone.

I am going to try that though it is a little thick looking. But I need to get some printing off it that is red and will throw some red light. Its a nice size.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As with the "dog cone" mentioned above, how about this for an idea?

http://digital-photography-school.com/b ... g-flowers/

Regarding Harold's comment on the wind, remember that tent pegs or skewers stuck into the ground with a length of thread as a "guy-rope" to the flower stem just below the cameras field of view can steady long stemmed flowers from moving in the wind.

DaveW

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

g4lab wrote:Once upon a time the vet did something to my beloved dachshund (my avatar on another forum) and tried to prevent him from access to it using a translucent plastic cone.

I am going to try that though it is a little thick looking. But I need to get some printing off it that is red and will throw some red light. Its a nice size.
That reminds me that we have a cat one in a cupboard. A bit small but considering this got the brain cells firing and I remembered some six gallon polythene barrels. For back garden use, and in extremis for planned shots of unmissable subjects elsewhere, it would be possible to cut one down to a useable size/shape.

Harold

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

We are due to go to the vet and I am going to ask for a smaller one like your cat one.
G

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Post by Joseph S. Wisniewski »

DaveW wrote:Regarding Harold's comment on the wind, remember that tent pegs or skewers stuck into the ground with a length of thread as a "guy-rope" to the flower stem just below the cameras field of view can steady long stemmed flowers from moving in the wind.
Every outdoor macro photographer should own a bunch of "skewers". I have a bunch of fiberglass "sticks" that were created for some garden oriented purpose or other. I cut them to the same length as a tripod leg, and 8 or 10 can be Velcro banded to the tripod leg for convenient storage. They hold the wind break, reflectors, anchor the "plamps", you name it.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

g4lab wrote:We are due to go to the vet and I am going to ask for a smaller one like your cat one.
G
A vet is, potentially, the most expensive source. However, it might be your only choice, although a large polythene funnel as used in the kitchen (jam/wine making), may do the job.

Harold

A. Georgiou

Post by A. Georgiou »

Thanks David the photos are a great help and everyone's input has also been helpful.

Cheers,
Ari
Aristotle Georgiou
Sydney
Australia

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

A vet is, potentially, the most expensive source. However, it might be your only choice, although a large polythene funnel as used in the kitchen (jam/wine making), may do the job.
Normally I would agree but our vet is a sweet guy and he also does field photography and makes platinum prints of his images. He is very good.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Trouble with a vet is if you ask for an old cone it may come with a cat or dog attached free!

DaveW

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

It might be worth a mention of this budget model:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9430

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic