Fujifilm X-H2S, any thoughts/users?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Fujifilm X-H2S, any thoughts/users?

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I would like to replace my Nikon Z6. It will be used on my microscope.

I want the following:
- APS-C
- Great video output (I have a Ninja V)
- Shutter release input
- No OLPF
- Preferably no IBIS but that is a lost cause nowadays
- Electronic shutter
- Decent enough resolution for photography

So far, it appears that the H2S is the only camera that ticks almost every box. Some reviews indicated numerous bugs with the initial release but it has probably all been addressed.
I am mainly concerned about what is not on the paper. How well does this camera do for focus stacking and low-light fluorescence?

I live in a very remote area, renting one is not an option and most stores require 6 months upfront.

Thanks!

soldevilla

Re: Fujifilm X-H2S, any thoughts/users?

Post by soldevilla »

I have the X-T2 in my microscope and iḿ very happy with the quality. Is not so easy to use that my DRLS Canon, but really no too many parameters need to be controled in order to have a fine final pictures.

J_Rogers

Post by J_Rogers »

I'll throw an oddball into the mix: Basler Ace 2 (model a2A5328-22g5cBAS)

Kind of / sort of checks every box, adds a few more, and costs about the same.
- 1.2" Sony Pregius S IMX540 sensor with 24.4 Megapixels. While not a aps-c format, you do gain the option for significantly cheaper c-mount lenses.
- Too many input trigger options & methods to list
- Ability to choose the method of demosaicing, turn off, or code your own algorithm
- No IBIS
- A bunch of electronic shutter configurations via software
- Weighs 110 grams -> 1/6 of the X-H2S
- GigE data transfer via cat6 cables
- Software + PC cards that will drag Capture One, Lightroom tethered, etc. through the mud. Seriously one of the most impressive features of these machine vision cameras.
+ The possibility of being able to demo one of their units.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:30 am
So far, it appears that the H2S is the only camera that ticks almost every box.
What about X-T5 or X-H2 ?

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Adalbert wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:37 am
What about X-T5 or X-H2 ?
The resolution of both of them are way too high and they're not focused on video.
J_Rogers wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:17 am
I'll throw an oddball into the mix: Basler Ace 2 (model a2A5328-22g5cBAS)

Kind of / sort of checks every box, adds a few more, and costs about the same.
- 1.2" Sony Pregius S IMX540 sensor with 24.4 Megapixels. While not a aps-c format, you do gain the option for significantly cheaper c-mount lenses.
- Too many input trigger options & methods to list
- Ability to choose the method of demosaicing, turn off, or code your own algorithm
- No IBIS
- A bunch of electronic shutter configurations via software
- Weighs 110 grams -> 1/6 of the X-H2S
- GigE data transfer via cat6 cables
- Software + PC cards that will drag Capture One, Lightroom tethered, etc. through the mud. Seriously one of the most impressive features of these machine vision cameras.
+ The possibility of being able to demo one of their units.
It's a nice option but too unintuitive. I will be using the camera on my microscope.
- I need to get a completely new PC built, I use a laptop because I travel between several cities nowadays
- Price is similar for the European market, the X-H2S is cheaper elsewhere
- I don't shoot tethered (maybe I should)

I have some pretty nice scientific cameras which I use when I am required to, or when I am bothered. Therefore, there is an argument for me to get a PC, perhaps one of the pocket ones just to run my microscopy stuff. I want to stay far away from frame grabber cards, they invite trouble.

J_Rogers

Post by J_Rogers »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:20 pm
- I don't shoot tethered (maybe I should)

I have some pretty nice scientific cameras which I use when I am required to, or when I am bothered. Therefore, there is an argument for me to get a PC, perhaps one of the pocket ones just to run my microscopy stuff. I want to stay far away from frame grabber cards, they invite trouble.
A different model you should look into is Teledyne Dalsa's 5GigE Nano's. Still a c-mount camera but those are smaller than a credit card. Basler has always been known for the crazy amount of things you can program and do, Teledyne is more focused on ease of use, so there is a plus.

GigE capable tethered cameras might change your mind about the need to use a cable with it. 5GigE data transfer is about 2x more data per second than what a traditional SATA SSD can physically write. NVME SSD's of course can go from 2.5gb-5gb+ write speeds, but 10GigE cameras are already breaking the limits of those types of drives. It really is mind boggling just how much and how fast these are. The sustained data transfer Teledyne advertises for their 5GigE cameras is 1gb/s. So you would be able to transfer over 120 4k video frames or 32 24mp raw files each and every second, continuously.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic