Information on this 'scope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JW

Information on this 'scope

Post by JW »

I recently examined some old rocks and equipment from a retired geology professor who sadly passed away last year. This was amongst his equipment. Any thoughts on what this might be - brand / model / etc. I was not able to check functionality, optics or electronics, and there was no bulb in the illuminator.

thanks
1 copy.jpg
3 copy.jpg
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

PeteM

Re: Information on this 'scope

Post by PeteM »

That's an old Bausch & Lomb, with what look to be three lens groups. Those will slide in for different magnifications.

It's way better than no scope, but pretty limited (image quality, brightness, contrast, field of view, etc.) if you're looking for a good stereo microscope.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Image quality can be surprisingly good and the tilt function is nice. I have unfortunately never found one of these that was not moldy, misaligned or both.

JW

Post by JW »

Thanks Pete - silly me, I didn't realize that the logo on the front was B&L, upside down. I may have a better chance to evaluate this item once the estate gets settled.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Those old B&L scopes are surprisingly good stereo scopes. Very sturdy, too. I've donated around fifty of them to a couple of schools. Some I bought and some were surplus from a local university. The last couple were just last week. I have two I'm keeping for myself to use for outreach.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic