3D Printed Stepper Mounting Plate for Nippon Bearing Rail

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Doppler9000

3D Printed Stepper Mounting Plate for Nippon Bearing Rail

Post by Doppler9000 »

I got this rail a while ago on eBay and finally got around to the project of mounting a stepper motor. Lacking a machine shop, I designed and printed a mounting plate, as the plate that came with the rail was for a different motor.

I countersunk the screws that attach the plate to the motor and used melt-in brass inserts to facilitate attachment of the motor/plate assembly to the rail.

The motor is a Vexta and the rail is a Nippon Bearing BG2602B-300H.
95872D62-86BD-4D15-8BE9-876EB60204DD.jpeg
ADDEC5F6-1534-42F6-8092-B4FC73EA4583.jpeg
3A59EB64-75C4-444E-9093-9E4EF6C9DE4E.jpeg

lothman

Re: 3D Printed Stepper Mounting Plate for Nippon Bearing Rail

Post by lothman »

Doppler9000 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:56 am
I got this rail a while ago on eBay and finally got around to the project of mounting a stepper motor. Lacking a machine shop, I designed and printed a mounting plate, as the plate that came with the rail was for a different motor.

I countersunk the screws that attach the plate to the motor and used melt-in brass inserts to facilitate attachment of the motor/plate assembly to the rail.

funny incident, I just finished the same setup with a THK KR2602B-300 (same version with an idler rail integrated). I had an motor adapter plate for Nema 17 once offered by MKJZZ what looks identical to your 3D printed version.

Because of the extreme low friction of the rail and the ballscrew I was afraid that in a vertical setup gravity would be able to to push down camera-lens-combo. But it turned out that this is not the case using a 400step/revolution Nema 17 motor. Some first runs make me confident that even with a 2mm pitch of the ballscew I can get very consistent 1µm movements. So I think those 2602b rails are the holy grail for us focus stackers only drawback is they are hard to find at an affordable price..

Doppler9000

Post by Doppler9000 »

lothman wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:55 pm
Doppler9000 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:56 am

funny incident, I just finished the same setup with a THK KR2602B-300 (same version with an idler rail integrated). I had an motor adapter plate for Nema 17 once offered by MKJZZ what looks identical to your 3D printed version.

Because of the extreme low friction of the rail and the ballscrew I was afraid that in a vertical setup gravity would be able to to push down camera-lens-combo. But it turned out that this is not the case using a 400step/revolution Nema 17 motor. Some first runs make me confident that even with a 2mm pitch of the ballscew I can get very consistent 1µm movements. So I think those 2602b rails are the holy grail for us focus stackers only drawback is they are hard to find at an affordable price..
It was a post you made a while ago that put me onto the 2602B in the first place. I got mine for a pretty good price about a year ago - $249 including shipping from Korea. There are a few on eBay now, but with silly prices. The “B” rails are great, but people should look out for the “D” variants, as well. They have two short sliders.

Do you have a picture of your setup?

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

wow, I wish I can print that kind of quality, looks like I need to get a good printer. thanks for sharing

Doppler9000

Post by Doppler9000 »

mjkzz wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:56 pm
wow, I wish I can print that kind of quality, looks like I need to get a good printer. thanks for sharing
My pleasure.

I had two somewhat less expensive printers die, so I decided to get a Prusa. I got a 0.6mm nozzle, for better part strength.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Doppler9000 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:06 am
mjkzz wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:56 pm
My pleasure.

I had two somewhat less expensive printers die, so I decided to get a Prusa. I got a 0.6mm nozzle, for better part strength.
Thanks, Prusa is sooooo expensive in China . . . almost same as CoreXY type of printer :(

Anyways, I was using cheap filament (5USD per kg), too. Now I am using eSun matte finish filament, same printer, quality is much better, but for prototype type of print, I am still using the cheap one, they run out so fast :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic