(Help) DIY motorized microscope stage

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

(Help) DIY motorized microscope stage

Post by Smokedaddy »

Looking for a few suggestions/ideas/motors etc., for a DIY project to motorize my Polyvar SC XY stage.

-JW:
Attachments
XY-Stage.jpg

pbraub

Re: (Help) DIY motorized microscope stage

Post by pbraub »

Hi,
i cannot give you first hand experience (i use a motorized prior stage) but these might give you some pointers:

https://github.com/openUC2/UC2-Motorized-XY-Table
https://theo.io/blog/2018/02/01/save-99 ... ge-for-60/

Peter

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Excellent, thanks Peter.

mightimatti

Post by mightimatti »

Hi Smokedaddy,
it's a funny coincidence, that you are tackling this problem now. I was researching the exact same problem in these days, as I intend to motorize a large xy-stage from a leica microscope.
Please keep us posted on any solution you find/implement.

Thanks

Saul

Post by Saul »

Saul
μ-stuff

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Saul wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:25 pm
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3182595
Thanks Saul

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

mightimatti wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:21 am
.... I intend to motorize a large xy-stage from a leica microscope.
Out of curiosity, what Leica scope? I'm still searching for help with my Leica DMIRB/E and Micromanager.

-JW:

mightimatti

Post by mightimatti »

To be honest, I don't know what microscope it is from and I'd be curious as well. I might be wrong about this aspect as I am no expert on microscopes.
I bought the stage from a fellow forum member and it is much larger that most of the mechanical stages I have found online.
The travel is 150mm in either direction.
I intend to motorize it as a way of precisely and automatically moving subjects in a vertical macro setup, to then stitch large images from multiple shots. I attached a photo
Attachments
3s.jpg

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

mightimatti wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:30 am
To be honest, I don't know what microscope it is from and I'd be curious as well. I might be wrong about this aspect as I am no expert on microscopes.
I bought the stage from a fellow forum member and it is much larger that most of the mechanical stages I have found online.
The travel is 150mm in either direction.
I intend to motorize it as a way of precisely and automatically moving subjects in a vertical macro setup, to then stitch large images from multiple shots. I attached a photo
Marzhauser stage.

mightimatti

Post by mightimatti »

Thank you Macro_cosmos. I wasn't sure whether it was a Maerzhaeuser, as the recent designs are a bit different to the one I have.
Smokedaddy wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:57 am
Looking for a few suggestions/ideas/motors etc., for a DIY project to motorize my Polyvar SC XY stage.

-JW:
I ended up finally breaking the spell and learned to make basic use of CAD. This is what I came up with and should give me a theoretical resolution of <5um without microstepping, albeit using NEMA 17 steppers with 0.8 step angle. The pulleys interfacing with the knurled wheels are FDM printed, so is the base that attaches to the stage, the plates of the different levels will be lasercut from 6mm cast arcrilic.
I initially designed a "single-stage" belt reduction with (pricey) geared steppers similar to the UC-2 link posted, but my application requires the assembly to be as flat as possible, which I achieve by replacing the 10:1 planetary gear steppers with slim NEMA 17 steppers and a second set of belts.
The overall cost is ~100-150e, with motors, CNC arduino shield, lasercutting and 3D print service.

I'll post an update once I actually assembled the parts(currently waiting on manufacture/delivery)
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-01-04 15-18-19.png
Screenshot from 2023-01-04 15-17-01.png

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

That was quick. Interesting. Looking forward to seeing the final project.

chuong nguyen

Post by chuong nguyen »

This might work for your Polyvar. I have similar setup.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264266985622?h ... R7bMkZW6YQ

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

chuong nguyen wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:41 pm
This might work for your Polyvar. I have similar setup.
Thanks for the link. It's too pricey for me.

-JW:

mightimatti

Post by mightimatti »

I finally finished my build in the past days after shopping around and waiting for the right motors and correct length GT2 belts for what felt like an eternity.
The mechanism works very well, though I believe I could have gotten more speed with a different approach. I am happy with it never the less, as the stage doesn't have to traverse great distances at a time. The stage has 5um/step resoution(w/o microstepping) doesn't seem to be losing any steps, the mechanical system is completly free of lash(at all points along the travel of both axis) an it moves at approx 10mm/sec.
The overall cost was 50 pound sterling for the used stage and approx 150-200e in parts, electronics etc. I did build a fancy frame with aluminium extrusion though. I haven't actually tested the integration with my imaging yet, so I'll test displace accuracy, repeteability and so forth once that is set. If you're interested I can send you a video or two of it in action. Apparently I can't upload videos here unfortunately

In case you want to buy one, there is this stage on german ebay the price of which was reduced recently. For what it is, it looks like a good deal. https://www.ebay.de/itm/275283324891

edit: I added a (poor) picture to give you a rough idea what it looks like.
Attachments
mechanism.png
Last edited by mightimatti on Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

mightimatti wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:11 pm
The stage has 0.005um/step resoution(w/o microstepping)
is there a typo in there and you meant to write 5um or 0.005mm?
0.005um would be quite a feat ;)
chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic