Issue with Printing Nikkor (105mm)?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

austrokiwi1

Issue with Printing Nikkor (105mm)?

Post by austrokiwi1 »

I am looking at listing this lens for sale but recently noticed some white makes inside the lens. Worried it might be fungus I took it the the classic leica store( do repairs) here in Vienna and asked their opinion. I was told that they don't think its funfus and they are pretty sure the lens is fine. I asked if they would have a closer examination( I would pay) and they immediately said they wouldn't want to disassemble such a lens. What do the experts think To me it looks like it could be SK disease.

PC110213.jpg
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

chris_ma

Re: Issue with Printing Nikkor (105mm)?

Post by chris_ma »

hard to say from the picture, but doesn't look like fungus either to me (which tends to be more irregular).
what's SK disease?

good thing the didn't dismantle the lens, it seems unlikely to me that they could it put back in perfect calbration without special know-how and gear.
chris

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

chris_ma wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:53 am
hard to say from the picture, but doesn't look like fungus either to me (which tends to be more irregular).
what's SK disease?
Forgive my spelling in advance Schnieder Kreutznach disease where the inside coating flakes off... but there are no loose pieces of coating inside the lens
Still learning,
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

It does look like a very light case of Schneideritis (=SK disease). In principle it could happen in any lens where the girdle of the elements has been painted black to increase contrast and reduce the chance of internal reflections. It is also a good idea not to disassemble the lens, because this would likely destroy any alignment made in the Nikon factory (just like disassembling a Mitutoyo M Plan Apo destroys its factory alignment and is certain to make its optical performance much worse).

In principle, Schneideritis causes only an undetectable decrease in lens contrast, and the detached paint usually remains trapped between the lens girdle and the retaining rings in the lens barrel, where it does nothing else. If the black paint comes loose as flakes or dust within the lens barrel, on the other hand, then it would have a similar effect as internal dust - little to no visible effect on images (except possibly, if there is really a lot of it, becoming visible in bokeh disks in very out-of-focus regions). Like internal dust, the main effect to expect is a likely drop in the second-hand value of the lens.

You may try to look carefully through the lens while pointing it to a well-illuminated white paper sheet. Try to focus your eyes inside the lens, not on the paper. If there is any paint dust inside the lens, it may be visible as tiny black specks (just the opposite of ordinary internal dust, which is best detected when illuminated from the same side of the lens where one is looking in).
--ES

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

enricosavazzi wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:45 am
It does look like a very light case of Schneideritis (=SK disease). In principle it could happen in any lens where the girdle of the elements has been painted black to increase contrast and reduce the chance of internal reflections. It is also a good idea not to disassemble the lens, because this would likely destroy any alignment made in the Nikon factory (just like disassembling a Mitutoyo M Plan Apo destroys its factory alignment and is certain to make its optical performance much worse).

In principle, Schneideritis causes only an undetectable decrease in lens contrast, and the detached paint usually remains trapped between the lens girdle and the retaining rings in the lens barrel, where it does nothing else. If the black paint comes loose as flakes or dust within the lens barrel, on the other hand, then it would have a similar effect as internal dust - little to no visible effect on images (except possibly, if there is really a lot of it, becoming visible in bokeh disks in very out-of-focus regions). Like internal dust, the main effect to expect is a likely drop in the second-hand value of the lens.

You may try to look carefully through the lens while pointing it to a well-illuminated white paper sheet. Try to focus your eyes inside the lens, not on the paper. If there is any paint dust inside the lens, it may be visible as tiny black specks (just the opposite of ordinary internal dust, which is best detected when illuminated from the same side of the lens where one is looking in).
Thank you will try that
Still learning,

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

enricosavazzi got it in one...looking through the lens with white paper I could see the black specks( not many he referred to)
Still learning,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic