Replacement zoom gears for Olympus SZ-40 series dissecting scope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MNBoldone

Replacement zoom gears for Olympus SZ-40 series dissecting scope

Post by MNBoldone »

The gears which control the zoom on the Olympus SZ-40 series dissecting scopes are "plastic" (nylon?) and are apparently one of the parts on the scopes which tend to give out first. I recently purchased a spare scope only to find out that the gears were broken. I have inquired with several microscope vendors and Olympus dealers without success. Has anyone found an alternate source for these gears?

The gear on the vertical shaft has a 4mm bore, outside diameter of ~12mm and 20 teeth. The gear on the horizontal shaft has a 6mm bore, outside diameter of ~21mm, and 40 teeth.

If I can't find something similar, I may try the closest gears I can find. I have already ordered some inexpensive brass gears to try.

Thanks,
Brad B.

Scarodactyl

Re: Replacement zoom gears for Olympus SZ-40 series dissecting scope

Post by Scarodactyl »

The gears in the common sz4045 clones look very similar, though no guarantees they're compatible.
Edit: I just got abother sz4045 clone and this one is totally different. The first one was a clone of the sz4045 with metal gears, this is a different mechanism entirely fit into a similar looking shell. So you'd need some luck to get the right type.

MNBoldone

Post by MNBoldone »

Thanks, for the suggestion. I called a manufacturer of a clone and they also told me that their gears would not be compatible.

I decided to just measure the gears and see if I could find similar gears on the internet or elsewhere. My notes are that the horizontal shaft is 6mm in diameter, the gear on that shaft has an outside diameter of 21mm and it has 40 teeth. The vertical shaft has a diameter of 4mm, the gear has an outside diameter of 12mm and the gear has 20 teeth. I was unsuccessful in finding new plastic gears which would match. There were however, a couple vendors selling brass and stainless gears of those dimensions on AliExpress.

I decided to order a set of brass gears from Devota Store on AliExpress. The item description was "0.5M 1:2 Bevel Gear 20T-40T 90 Degree Transmission Stainless Steel / Copper Gear 3/4/5/6MM HIGH QUALITY 4mm AND 6mm, 20-40T Copper". I believe this would be the proper link https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568026 ... _shipto=US
The gears are now listed as out-of-stock. I recall there were other vendors selling similar gears. Shipping took about a month.

I installed the gears into my SZ-4045 Microscope head and they seemed to work. I didn't try them too much because I think I need to clean and regrease the entire focus mechanism - I put the microscope aside until I can complete that process.

Hopefully there are not too negative effects to using metal gears, but it certainly seems like a means to extend the functional life of the microscope.

Hopefully, that information is of use to someone.
Brad B.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Awesome! I'm glad it worked, and hope it lasts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic