Edmund Ultra Compact Objectives

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JayMcClellan

Edmund Ultra Compact Objectives

Post by JayMcClellan »

Does anyone have experience with these objectives? I searched the web and didn't come up with any reviews or hands-on results.

https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/ultra-co ... ies/37115/

They look interesting because they are nominally 2X but *by design* can be used up to 20X with extension tubes. They're C-Mount and probably won't cover APS-C but seem like they should cover a micro 4/3 sensor even at 2X. $200 seems very reasonable for a finite objective with (claimed) near diffraction-limited resolution and (claimed) performance similar to infinite objectives at anywhere from 2X to 20X. Any obvious down sides other than possibly small sensor coverage?

Scarodactyl

Re: Edmund Ultra Compact Objectives

Post by Scarodactyl »

They're probably not meant for high quality imaging.

Sym P. le

Post by Sym P. le »

• Configurable Magnification Using Designated Extension Tubes
  • Near Diffraction Limited Resolution
Suggests decent performance, perhaps akin to Canon's Macrophoto lenses from yesteryear

JayMcClellan

Post by JayMcClellan »

I think I already know the answer, that with a NA of .13 it may slightly outperform an average microscope objective up to about 4X, and is likely to give empty magnification beyond that. But I want to hear what Edmund has to say about it so I sent them a more basic question, simply explaining how I want to use it for macro photography with a Panasonic GH5S sensor and asking if they would recommend it for "high-quality" imaging, and over what range of magnifications. I know they have some very knowledgeable people so I'll be interested in their answer and I'll post an update when I hear from them.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

JayMcClellan wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:44 pm
They're C-Mount and probably won't cover APS-C but seem like they should cover a micro 4/3 sensor even at 2X
It's clearly stated that they cover 2/3" (11mm diameter) sensor, much smaller than 4/3 (21.60mm diameter).
Likely they would cover larger sensors at increased magnification via extension (if tubes do not vignette) but not at 2X

As you say, 4X 0.13 is pretty nice but not if used at much higher magnification.
Pau

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

To be fair these ratings are sometimes overly conservative. Then again, sometimes they're optimistic.

JayMcClellan

Post by JayMcClellan »

I received a prompt reply from an Edmund product support engineer, and then a follow-up, confirming that these objectives are not expected to provide single-pixel resolution on a micro 4/3 sensor (4.5 micron pixel pitch) at any magnification. I think they might get close at low magnifications but then vignetting becomes a problem. So in case anyone is considering these objectives, no they are not well-suited for macro work.

Sym P. le

Post by Sym P. le »

Looking again, I see the following information:

2X, 0.15 NA - 8mm FL, f/2.5 ........ IC 2/3" direct C-mount to 1" on extensions at 10x or greater
2X, 0.10 NA - 8mm FL, f/4 ........... IC 2/3" direct C-mount to 1" on extensions at 5x or greater
2X, 0.13 NA - 10mm FL, f/2.5 ...... IC 2/3" direct C-mount to 1" on extensions at 4x or greater
2X, 0.08 NA - 10mm FL, f/4 ......... IC 2/3" direct C-mount to 1" on extensions at 4x or greater

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:18 am
To be fair these ratings are sometimes overly conservative. Then again, sometimes they're optimistic.
Thats true, sometimes either way. Usually I go by the mount and when it comes to C-mount, forget about it.

In my experience if a lens happens to cover a larger format, its done for marketing purposes to make more money from selling two lenses from a single optical design. The 2.8/50 Componon-S, its the same lens 100% as the the APO-Xenoplan that is sold for a 19mm sensor, 1.2" (now known as Jade).

SK re-introduced and re-named their entire lens line this year. Now they can sell the same old lenses as new ones! Smart guys in Kreuznach HQ. Qioptiq is introducing new HR lenses, SK is renaming and doing mostly cine optics now. Thats one way to save money! #-o

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic