Looking for 4x objective

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bschnitzer

Looking for 4x objective

Post by Bschnitzer »

I currently do my imaging with the Nikon CFI Plan 10x and would like to add a lower power objective for a slightly wider view. Can someone recommend a 4x that would be equivalent quality to the 10x I have. I have noted one review of the matching Nikon 4x CFI plan that was critical of the center sharpness and overall CA that belied it’s price tag.

Thanks
1. Olympus BH2 BHTU trinocular w/DPlan objectives, Risingcam 20mp 1” USB
2. Motic SMZ 168 Stereo w/Nikon N1 APS-C
3. Extreme macro rig Nikon D500/PB6 bellows/10x CFI Achr/Raynox DCR150/Wemacro Rail

Scarodactyl

Re: Looking for 4x objective

Post by Scarodactyl »

Robert's review suggested thr e plan mght be better than the normal plan, and thr be plan was better yet though not parfocal without a 15mm spacer.

Bschnitzer

Post by Bschnitzer »

Parfocality is not a big issue due to intended use on my extreme rig (line 3 in my sig). I’m guessing I can mount at the same distance from the tube lens as the CFI 10x. I am seriously considering the be and just want to know if there are any other options before I commit. BE price is certainly a plus for me. Thanks.
3. Extreme macro rig Nikon D500/PB6 bellows/10x CFI Achr/Raynox DCR150/Wemacro Rail

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

It depends how much you want to spend. The mitutoyo m plan apo 5x is hard to beat in 4-5x objectives if you don't want to go into rare and obscure stuff. the mitutoyo clones may or may not provide a better alternative (there seems to be a fair amount of copy to copy variation in addition to different designs being out there for sale), though they at least have much work wokring distance than the BE 4x.

Bschnitzer

Post by Bschnitzer »

Thank you, Scaro. I think I will try the BE at this time and see how it works out. Not too keen on taking my chances with an expensive clone, though my import 20mb USB camera appears to be working as I hoped.

lothman

Post by lothman »

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

That's a finite objective so it would require some more reconfiguring. Either way something seems to have been different about the batch Robert bought from as the new ones seem to only get bad reviews (and not just because of the unrelated lens design put into the same type of shell.)

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I use the Olympus UPlanFL N 4x/0.13 ∞/- and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I bought it used for a very good price although usually it is more expensive
It's a UIS2 class lens, full corrected, although despite rated for an image field of 26.5mm with a 180mm tube lens the corners are a bit degraded even with a 200mm tube lens and a Canon APSC sensor
Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I've had mixed luck with the Amscope 4x. Have evaluated 4 different versions of this objective, and they vary quite a bit in IQ, mostly coverage. All cover APS-C well though.

Bschnitzer

Post by Bschnitzer »

The Nikon CFI BE 4X arrived and based on just the first light stack, I am very happy with the resulting image. For my purposes, it’s a keeper. I had to jury rig an RMS to 25mm adapter for the initial test, but that has now been replaced with a proper RMS to 42mm adapter. Thanks, all for the input.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

My experiences with the CFI BE 4X have been quite positive.

One improvement for some situations: remove the hood to reduce vignetting and give more working distance. Discussion at https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18182 .

--Rik

Bschnitzer

Post by Bschnitzer »

Rik, thanks for that tip. I’ll certainly give it a go on my rig. I wonder if covering the entire imaging end of the rig with a blackout cloth will make any appreciable difference in controlling stray light, especially from just outside the image circle.

Bob

dy5

Post by dy5 »

Glad to hear the Nikon 4x is working for you. If you'd like yet another alternative, what about the Lomo 3.7/0.11? It's finite, but some forum posts suggests it also works well with a tube lens. They're selling for around $100 on eBay these days.

Cheers, David

Bschnitzer

Post by Bschnitzer »

Maybe this is a little off topic, but when pixel peeping stacked images with the BE objective, I noticed if I set my Nikon D500 to LO1.0 iso, there is a definite improvement in the noise department - as in almost no noise at all. There is probably a DR penalty for this, so further investigation is needed. From my experience, even the best of the current crop of raw file noise filters leave patterns of blotches.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic