Nikon Labophot missing part

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Andreylien

Nikon Labophot missing part

Post by Andreylien »

Hello everyone,

I am currently struggling with setting up an old, but still very good Nikon polarizing microscope Optiphot2-Pol. I just realize that the stand is missing the tube clamp on the microscope arm, linking the revolving nosepiece with the intermediate tube and eyepiece. I have been searching everywhere, including for other "phot" Nikon microscopes (alphaphot, labophot, etc), but so far the only option I found was to purchase the whole new stand. Apart from high price of the whole thing, the shipping of the stand from US is incredibly expensive, making it difficult for me to cover.

Does anyone know if there is any place where I can get only the missing black clamp?

My microscope:

Right one:

Thank you very much in advance!

PeteM

Re: Nikon Labophot missing part

Post by PeteM »

Others may comment, but to me the first image (minus the turret holder) looks like an Optiphot2 arm on an earlier generation Nikon Labophot base. The second image is not of an Optiphot2, which had molded plastic wrist pads flaring out (and often sticky due to a soft touch finish which generally hasn't stood the test of time).

It's an important difference, because the original and Optiphot 2 nosepieces are a bit different. The Optiphot 2 is preferrred because an additional correction lens is not required in the holder to handle a reversed nosepiece.

If you just bought the scope, you might have a claim for a wrong description? The valuable part is that polarization stage - and it will fit either the older or newer Optiphot models, as well as the lesser Labophot models.

Assuming you're happy with an Optiphot 2 and a mismatched (and lower wattage) base, there's a chance you might be able to buy a US Optiphot 2 stand and have it shipped to someone in the US who needs other parts and would be able to remove the nosepiece holder and turret and send just it to you? That could at least save on the shipping costs.

Andreylien

Post by Andreylien »

Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for your response! I am not such an expert in the different generations of these microscopes. I have a Labophot-Pol (we only use the polarized light source for geological purposes) and the clamp seems to be very similar, though I haven´t tried to unscrew it and try on the other one.
The arm with the missing part is the Optiphot2 according to the engraving on the arm, so I am not sure if that is the early gen you mention.
The polarizing piece is in place attached to the eyepiece just above the quartz wedge.

The option of buying it together with somebody and just keeping the clamp sounds great, but I am not sure if anyone is looking for such a specific microscope.

Thank you for your response again!

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Hi Andrey, It's the base to the microscope (the one with the Optiphot 2 arm) that looks like it came from another Nikon microscope. The Optiphot 2 base has a 100 watt halogen lamp in a plastic housing sticking out from the back and an internal 100 watt power supply. Also those flaring plastic wrist pads noted earlier. Your base looks different.

The original Optiphot (sometimes called "1") has a 50 watt lamp in a blackened metal housing, also with an internal power supply. It has a voltage meter in the front - so that's not what you have.

The first Labophot has a 20 watt lamp. The Labophot 2 has a 30 watt lamp. There are still other Nikon bases (Alphaphot, Metaphot, 100 . . .) that may have a compatible 4-hole mounting pattern so they could fit a different arm. Your base looks a bit like the first Labophot with a 20 watt lamp?

It's good you got the proper polarizing analyzer as well as the rotating stage. Another valuable part toward assembling a complete polarizing scope.
Last edited by PeteM on Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

To add, I suggest you contact the seller of this Optiphot 2 microscope:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325397687355?h ... 000%7C7000

He is (in my experience) a reliable seller of used microscopes and might be willing to remove the turret holder and send just that to you. He would still have a lamp holder, stage and condenser holder, possibly a good focusing stand to sell for parts so it wouldn't be a total loss. It might not be cheap, but should he be willing, this should be much less expensive than acquiring the whole stand and having it shipped to Europe.

You still might have the issue of a not-quite-bright-enough base? A LED retrofit could be a solution (or a 50 or 100 watt Optiphot base) if you find that to be the case.

Andreylien

Post by Andreylien »

Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, now I clearly see the difference.
I have several microscopes in the lab and have seen the first gen Optiphot with a voltmeter in the front part of the stand. Also I found a working Optiphot2 with external plastic lamp housing. Interestingly I have another spare housings (one for the base and another for epi-illumination) for my Optiphot, but I don´t think I can mount it to the current base, which indeed is very likely coming from a first gen Labophot. In general the illumination is ok for the kind of work we are doing. Interestingly the initial issue with this microscope was not working illumination, which essentially was due to the base of the lamp partial melting, breaking the contact between the circuit and the lamp housing. Long working hours with 30W lamp is not a joke. Anyhow I manage to solve it.
Regarding to the seller, thank you for the contact. I thought about getting in touch with him and asking if I could only have the needed piece to save on shipping. I need to check if he can issue the VAT invoice, because the one from eBay is not accepted here.

Thank you again for your suggestions,
Best,
Andrey

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Andrey, did you obtain the part you need?

I've been traveling and away from the forum. But I have several old Labophot 2 stands from which I'll harvest the focus blocks. I could send you the portion you need for the cost of shipping.

--Chris S.

Andreylien

Post by Andreylien »

Chris S. wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:01 pm

I've been traveling and away from the forum. But I have several old Labophot 2 stands from which I'll harvest the focus blocks. I could send you the portion you need for the cost of shipping.

--Chris S.
Hello Chris,

Unfortunately I wasn´t able to acquire that piece so far. For a while I had detained the search, but now trying to find some time again for this side project.
I have just seen your kind suggestion and if it is still in place and you could localize that part laying somewhere without use, that would be amazing if you could provide it to me. Surely, I will arrange all of the shipping and cover any costs. You might just send me a private message is you prefer.

Best,
Andrey

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi again, Chris,

Do you have a Labophot 2 stage carrier with or without stage?
Recently I bought a Nikon focus block from another member and it would be nice to have if it fits for a vertical moving setup.

The distances between holes in mine are 25mm and 54mm
NikonBlock.JPG

Best!

Chris S. wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:01 pm

--Chris S.
Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Pau wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 11:29 am
Hi again, Chris,

Do you have a Labophot 2 stage carrier with or without stage?
I've just now replied to Pau via PM and email. I think the focus block shown is from the earlier Labophot era, rather than Labophot 2. But I do have carriers to fit either (they are different), and will send Pau whatever works for him.

Now to reply to Andrey in next post.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Andreylien wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:55 am

Unfortunately I wasn't able to acquire that piece so far. For a while I had detained the search, but now trying to find some time again for this side project.
I have just seen your kind suggestion and if it is still in place and you could localize that part laying somewhere without use, that would be amazing if you could provide it to me. Surely, I will arrange all of the shipping and cover any costs. You might just send me a private message is you prefer.

Best,
Andrey
Andrey,

I think I do have the parts you need. Looking over my collection of Labophot 2 stands, I'm surprised to see that some have six top mounting screws, while others have three. From your picture, you appear to need the six screw assembly.

Please send me your address by PM or email. I'll remove the parts you need and send them your way. (For my ease in disassembly, and for you to have a properly assembled example on your end, I'm tempted to saw the end off the stand, parts attached, and send it to you intact. This way, you can receive the parts you need assembled in place; then as you remove them, you will see how they go into your stand. Does this sound okay to you?)

You need everything from the black metal on top down to and including the turret, correct?

Best,

--Chris

Andreylien

Post by Andreylien »

Chris S. wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:22 pm
Andreylien wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:55 am

Unfortunately I wasn't able to acquire that piece so far. For a while I had detained the search, but now trying to find some time again for this side project.

Best,
Andrey
Andrey,

I think I do have the parts you need. Looking over my collection of Labophot 2 stands, I'm surprised to see that some have six top mounting screws, while others have three. From your picture, you appear to need the six screw assembly.

Please send me your address by PM or email. I'll remove the parts you need and send them your way. (For my ease in disassembly, and for you to have a properly assembled example on your end, I'm tempted to saw the end off the stand, parts attached, and send it to you intact. This way, you can receive the parts you need assembled in place; then as you remove them, you will see how they go into your stand. Does this sound okay to you?)

You need everything from the black metal on top down to and including the turret, correct?

Best,

--Chris
Hello Chris,

My guess is the compatibility between older first gen Optiphot and the newer Optiphot 2, with the former having the 3-hole piece. However I am not entirely sure about that.
I have the turret/revolver with the objectives, so I assume that I only need the black piece with the corresponding screws.

Thank you,
Andrey

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Andreylien wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 2:56 am
My guess is the compatibility between older first gen Optiphot and the newer Optiphot 2, with the former having the 3-hole piece. However I am not entirely sure about that.
This would have been my guess, too. But at least one of my Labophot 2 stands has three screws on top; most of my other Labophot 2 stands that I looked at have six. (I have other Labophot 2 stands that I didn't look at.)

I have the turret/revolver with the objectives, so I assume that I only need the black piece with the corresponding screws.
Ah, very good. So I won't send you a turret, just the other bits above and below the microscope arm.

Best,

--Chris S.

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Chris S. wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:03 pm
This would have been my guess, too. But at least one of my Labophot 2 stands has three screws on top; most of my other Labophot 2 stands that I looked at have six. (I have other Labophot 2 stands that I didn't look at.)
My optiphot(-1) seems to have three screws indeed. Judged from below with the turret removed.
--- felix filicis ---

Andreylien

Post by Andreylien »

Chris S. wrote:
Andreylien wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 2:56 am

Ah, very good. So I won't send you a turret, just the other bits above and below the microscope arm.

Best,

--Chris S.
Hello Chris,

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate that.
iconoclastica wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:36 am
Chris S. wrote:
My optiphot(-1) seems to have three screws indeed. Judged from below with the turret removed.
I have checked Labophot 1 I have at hand and apparently it has 3 screws as well. It has some black cover, so I cannot confirm it 100%, but seems so.

Best,
Andrey

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic