3M Projection Objectives Tests

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

3M Projection Objectives Tests

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I posted earlier regarding the 18.25x 3M Objective that Surplus Shed had on sale, and it motivated me to check performance of some of the other 3M objectives I own. I had not tested them since getting the A7R4, and indeed have quite a few other lenses that need similar testing on the FF camera. All my previous tests were on APS-C, and while I did set up a system at one point to test large formats, I'm not using that system currently, so I have very little data on most of my lenses for FF coverage. I did know the 3M lenses had wide coverage in general but no specific data.

Problem with setting up this test is that these lenses were designed for a particular piece of equipment, presumably a microfiche reader, and I have no data on the way they were set up. I'm pretty sure the extensions used were quite large, possibly with additional optics to project onto a viewscreen, but that's not what I bought them for. To be practical, I decided to test them with the maximum extension I could get from my bellows, plus the adapters and of course whatever mechanics they are mounted in. Testing them all the same way, I can get an idea of their useful mag range in such a system, and how well they can work on FF to show the types of photos I want to take.

I ended up testing 11 different lenses, from two series. The majority were from the "cone" series similar to the 18.25x sold by Surplus Shed. These include the following magnifications: 15.7x; 18.25x; 20.78x; 23x; and 29x. Also included in this series were the 8.05x and 10.6x, which also have a cone-shaped mechanic but are a smaller maximum diameter and thus won't fit on the 48.5mm adapter (from Raf) I used for the others.

The remaining 4 lenses were from the "objective" series. I presume they were used on a projection system as well, but with a different extension requirement. They have longer focal lengths for the same nominal magnification. These look more like regular microscope objectives, except the mount is smaller, around 16mm if I remember correctly. I have taped them all up to allow threading into RMS for testing and will measure the thread later. I'll also publish pics of all the lenses themselves. I may end up putting all this on my website and link to it here, haven't decided. Anyway, these lenses are marked: 15x-1; 23x-1; 35x-2; and 40x-2.

The test subject is a 1955-S RPM-004 that I found in a recent BU roll search. The coin has a small dust spec near the center, so I cropped to that spec for my "center" shots. This was only for convenience since the mags are different for each lens, so it's impossible to pixel peep for comparisons. Quality must be judged on absolute basis. For the "corner" shots, since the FOV is different for each lens, there is no fixed reference.

Each image was composited from a 12-shot stack with ~18um steps. This is another practical convention since the NAs on these objectives vary. It seemed to be OK for the highest powers, and thus overkill for the lower powers, but oh well.

Because I shot stacks, I can show something for LoCA, but have not sifted through the images to do this yet. Again, perhaps I will upload this info to my website later.

I'll show the Cone series first, Overall / Center / Corner, then the Objective series.

8.05x
8p05x_0.JPG
8p05x_1.JPG
8p05x_2.JPG
10.6x
10p6x_0.JPG
10p6x_1.JPG
10p6x_2.JPG
15.7x
15p7x_0.JPG
15p7x_1.JPG
15p7x_2.JPG
18.25x
18p25x_0.JPG
18p25x_1.JPG
18p25x_2.JPG
20.78x
20p78x_0.JPG
20p78x_1.JPG
20p78x_2.JPG
23x
23x_0.JPG
23x_1.JPG
23x_2.JPG
29x
29x_0.JPG
29x_1.JPG
29x_2.JPG
I will add remaining comparison images a bit later and add comments and prelim conclusions.

Edited to add Objective series images

15x-1
15x-1_0.JPG
15x-1_1.JPG
15x-1_2.JPG
23x-1
23x-1_0.JPG
23x-1_1.JPG
23x-1_2.JPG
35x-2
35x-2_0.JPG
35x-2_1.JPG
35x-2_2.JPG
40x-2
40x-2_0.JPG
40x-2_1.JPG
40x-2_2.JPG
Edited to add 18.25x images

Edited to add some comments about the lenses

8.05x: Center is sharp with low LaCAs. Does not cover FF well but covers APS-C based on my earlier tests.
10.6x: Center is sharp with visible LaCAs. Does not cover FF well but probably covers APS-C well.
15.7x: Center is sharp with visible LaCAs. Covers FF reasonably well. Nice presentation of the "money shot".
18.25x: Center shows some diffraction softening, visible LaCAs. Covers FF well.
20.78x: Center shows some diffraction softening with low LaCAs. Covers FF well. Probably covers "money shot" well.
23x: Center shows some diffraction softening with low LaCAs. Covers FF well. May cover "money shot" well.
29x: Center shows strong diffraction softening. Covers FF well.
15x-1: Center and Corner are soft but consistent across FF
23x-1: Center is sharp with low LACAs. Covers FF well.
35x-2: Center shows some diffraction softening, some visible LaCAs. Does not cover FF.
40x-2: Center is sharp with low LaCAs. Covers FF well. Nice presentation of the "money shot".

Edited to add examples of low (23x) versus visible (18.25x) LoCA animations:

23x Cone showing relatively low levels of Longitudinal Chromatic Aberrations (LoCA). Little if any hue shift on spectral highlights is apparent.
23x LoCA.gif
18.25x Cone objective showing visible levels of LoCA
18p25x LoCA.gif
Would like to hear feedback on this method of showing LoCA

simplejoy

Re: 3M Projection Objectives Tests

Post by simplejoy »

Excellent work and really well presented! Thanks a lot for all the information - that's quite interesting. =D>

blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

Quantifiable by separately focusing under red, green, blue LED illumination, e.g.
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope/#CAL
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, and EPIStar 2571
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

blekenbleu wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:38 am
Quantifiable by separately focusing under red, green, blue LED illumination, e.g.
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope/#CAL
That's very nice, though a lot of work. Quantitative results could be useful for some applications.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Really interesting tests of this poorly known class of lenses. You've inspired me to try out my 3M 14x-32x zoom objective. I found data on this objective by searching for patent documents using the rather unusual focal lengths. You might be able to do the same with yours, to figure out what optics and distances they are meant to be used with. In the case of my objective, the image goes through an erecting prism. This might be a common feature for microfiche reading objectives.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lou, did the patent documents indicate whether the objective is optimized to look through glass?

--Rik

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, here is the drawing for my version:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4746204

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Lou Jost wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:59 pm
Yes, here is the drawing for my version:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4746204
Thanks Lou! That patent is a treasure trove of info and references and such for these types of objectives and "micrographics" in general. Will take some time to look through it all.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, quite a rabbit hole!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic