Carl Zeiss S-Sonnar 2,5/62 M1:2,12 Test Online

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Carl Zeiss S-Sonnar 2,5/62 M1:2,12 Test Online

Post by RobertOToole »

_-Zeiss-S-Sonnar-62mm-f2.8-lens-www-Closeuphotography-com.jpg

Full test results are now posted on my site for the Carl Zeiss the S-Sonnar 2,5/62 M1:2.12:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/zeiss ... -lens-test

This lens was designed for film duplication was loaned to me for this test by a friend that bought a group of optics purchased from a closed film duplication shop here in LA. To be honest I really enjoyed this lens, a lot more than I expected. It feels really solid in your hand and the tiny compact size is really easy to work with outdoors. The lens uses M26 x 0.75 mounting threads, SM1 threads are close enough to thread on 5 or 6 turns. Raf also makes a reverse adapter for this lens FYI (details in the full test).

I tested the lens at 2.1x on an APS-C body (this lens will not cover a full frame sensor). Image quality was very good all around. I did not compare the lens to anything more modern, the image quality was about that you expect from a lens this age, nice, but won't compare to the best modern lenses. The lens was not designed to be used at f/2.5 and was best one or two stops closed down.

_Outline-2000px-disk-one-v3-Carl-Zeiss-S-Sonnar-62mm-f2.5-2.12x-lens-www-Closeuphotography-com.jpg
Larger image: https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/cont ... rmat=2500w

_crop-outlines-Zeiss-S-Sonnar-62mm-M-0.5x-MicroFilm-Lens-www.Closeuphotography-com..jpg

_Center-100-percent-crop-one-stop-closed-Zeiss-S-Sonnar-62mm-M-0.5x-MicroFilm-Lens-www.Closeuphotography-com..jpg
Larger image: https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/cont ... rmat=1500w

_Corner-100-percent-crop-one-stop-closed-Zeiss-S-Sonnar-62mm-M-0.5x-MicroFilm-Lens-www.Closeuphotography-com..jpg

_LoCA-crop-outline-Carl-Zeiss-S-Sonnar-62mm-f2.5-2.12x-lens-www-Closeuphotography-com.jpg

_LoCAs-minus-one-Carl-Zeiss-S-Sonnar-62mm-f2.5-2.12x-lens-www-Closeuphotography-com.jpg

2.12x TEST SETUP

S-Sonnar 2.5/62 lens reverse mounted, mounting threads facing the subject.
Camera: Sony α6300, model # ILCE-6300, also known as: A6300
Sensor size: APS-C 23.5 × 15.6 mm. 28.21 mm diagonal. 3.92 micron sensor pitch
Flash: Godox TT350s wireless flash x 2 with one Godox X1s 2.4G wireless flash transmitter
Vertical stand: Nikon MM-11 with a Nikon focus block

The camera sensor and wafer were aligned by adjusting subject stage. Next a stack of images in 10 micron steps was made at each aperture. The sharpest frame was then chosen using at 100% actual pixel view. Separate images were selected for center, and corner if needed. Each image was processed in PS CC with identical settings with all noise reduction and lens correction turned off, all settings were zeroed out (true zero) and the same settings were used for all of the images. All images are single files, image stacking was not used.

For more information and image samples see the full test on my site.
Any questions or comments welcome, just leave a comment below.

Thanks,
Robert

ray_parkhurst

Re: Carl Zeiss S-Sonnar 2,5/62 M1:2,12 Test Online

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Nice set of tests Robert, and beautifully presented as always. Kudos again!

Your results also match my own for this lens. I purchased mine from a forum member quite a while ago, and have had mixed feelings about it over the years. I got it when I was looking for lenses that would work well at ~2x, but the smallish image circle and visible LoCAs made me put the lens on the shelf. I considered selling it a few times, but the images it produces have that famous Zeiss look, similar to the 74SP and other Zeiss lenses, so I ended up keeping it. Interestingly, I find the performance very similar to the Laowa 60/2.8 2x Macro, though they are of course very different lenses.

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

great to see some older lenses, they might not quite compete in absolute sharpness but certainly have interesting characteristics.

I'm wondering if this was built for the motion picture industry to make copies of 35mm film on 16mm prints.
wikipedia lists the 35mm academy format as 22mm wide, and 16mm as 10.26mm, so that would make it a 2.14 reduction, or 0.466x
a 2.12 reduction would make sure that the image borders don't become visible.
chris

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:28 pm
great to see some older lenses, they might not quite compete in absolute sharpness but certainly have interesting characteristics.

I'm wondering if this was built for the motion picture industry to make copies of 35mm film on 16mm prints.
wikipedia lists the 35mm academy format as 22mm wide, and 16mm as 10.26mm, so that would make it a 2.14 reduction, or 0.466x
a 2.12 reduction would make sure that the image borders don't become visible.
Hi Chris,

Yes, I think you are onto something, makes sense. Most people think of 35mm format as the same as digital "full format" as having 43mm IC but film stock is something else, it can get complicated. I try not to think about the different types of film formats #-o

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:05 pm
Nice set of tests Robert, and beautifully presented as always. Kudos again!

Your results also match my own for this lens. I purchased mine from a forum member quite a while ago, and have had mixed feelings about it over the years. I got it when I was looking for lenses that would work well at ~2x, but the smallish image circle and visible LoCAs made me put the lens on the shelf. I considered selling it a few times, but the images it produces have that famous Zeiss look, similar to the 74SP and other Zeiss lenses, so I ended up keeping it. Interestingly, I find the performance very similar to the Laowa 60/2.8 2x Macro, though they are of course very different lenses.
Thanks for taking a look Ray. I have to thank the owner, a guy here in LA, for offering to loan it, otherwise I would have never took the time to buy one and spend the time on it. I'm glad I did.

Best,

Robert

dickb

Post by dickb »

Opera Momentopname_2022-11-03_114518_www.marcocavina.com.jpg
This is the Zeiss info on the lens as shown on Marco Cavina's website. The stated image size and reduction ratio correspond with reducing 35mm cine film onto 16mm cine film.

BTW I agree, it is a fun lens to use.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic