MINOLTA AUTO BELLOWS MACRO ROKKOR-X 50mm 1:3.5 quick test

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bbobby

MINOLTA AUTO BELLOWS MACRO ROKKOR-X 50mm 1:3.5 quick test

Post by bbobby »

I bought this from eBay few weeks ago, with bellows and slide copier... seller was really careless and just put them in a box... no bubble wrap, no nothing... and one of the knobs of the slide copier was broken when I got it... and my 1st thought was if lens was damaged too. Yesterday evening after all my kids were asleep I finally found the time to take few shots with it... and some more this morning.

Messed up the light in the periphery, but this is the life, test pictures should not be taken close to midnight when someone is tired... will have to repeat the test again in the future...

And because before buying this lens I found only 1 review - https://coinimaging.com/minolta_50bel.html - I decide to share, if somebody is considering to get one. I used Sony A7R4 tethered to PC. X-Y-Z movement with micrometers, 10 microns resolution. USAF 1951 target is EO. Distortion target is Max Levy. With most lenses I am going with f/5.6 aperture when making pixel-shift image, somehow this lens seems to me a tiny bit better at f/4... this lens do have half stops, maybe have to use it for the repeat test. All images @ 1x.
f3.5 to f11, 100% center crop
f3.5 to f11, 100% center crop
image area
image area
f4, 100% crop
f4, 100% crop
f4, 100% crop - pixel shift
f4, 100% crop - pixel shift
unitron 1 mm, 100% crop
unitron 1 mm, 100% crop
unitron 1 mm - pixel shift, removed CA and adjustment with level, 100% crop
unitron 1 mm - pixel shift, removed CA and adjustment with level, 100% crop