50,000,000x Magnification Video

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

50,000,000x Magnification Video

Post by RobertOToole »

Stemi-3.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYVNZgnQ8gE

Super video made by a PhD using a STEM (Scanning Transmission Electron Microscope) at UCSB. The video covers what its really like working hands-on with the STEM scope, for instance it took him 3 hrs to focus due to drift, and he mentions having to use focus stacking to get the images he needs due to DOF issues. He also shows some table top experiments to explain the STEM technology.

Stemi-1.jpg

The work is detecting defects in film used in the production of semiconductors. This work was used in a published paper, DOI: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.cgd.2c00188

Stemi-2.jpg

Notes: Make sure the video is playing at 720 or 1080 res. Also make sure to check out the comments section where the guy gives some additional details/explanations and updates.

Overall I think its an excellent video, check it out!

Best,

Robert

P.s. BTW, If anyone is wondering why I haven't been on the forum lately. Honestly I'm busy trying to hide from having to finish 4 big macro lens tests that are something like 80% done! I've spending time with the family, and training BJJ everyday. All is good don't worry. I even got to meet Ray Parkhurst two weeks ago for a beer!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: 50,000,000x Magnification Video

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yes, an excellent video. I have watched several videos by AlphaPhoenix; they were all well worth the time.

In this one, I was struck that his entire specimen, at 6 x 14 microns, is about the same size as the two little hamuli hooks that I struggled to render in my whitefly parasite wasp.

--Rik

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:34 pm

In this one, I was struck that his entire specimen, at 6 x 14 microns, is about the same size as the two little hamuli hooks that I struggled to render in my whitefly parasite wasp.

--Rik
Thanks for sharing the link Rik, I missed that series of posts. Really interesting!

Best,

Robert

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Have you seen the YouTube video: A Boy and His Atom? It is a short animated movie of exactly that, made by manipulating individual atoms.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Superb video, worth every minute.

Thanks for sharing, Robert. I've now subscribed to AlphaPhoenix.

--Chris S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic