Looking for a good 10-15" monitor

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Big Pete

Looking for a good 10-15" monitor

Post by Big Pete »

Hi, I need a better monitor to be able to control sharpness, composition and other things for my macro photography. I now have a 5" Fotga monitor which is connected via HDMI cable from my camera Sony A7R ii. There are 7" monitors from Fotga and other manufacturers but the wish is to get a larger one of 10" - 15" to be able to have an easier overview before shooting and stacking. I will use this intended new monitor indoors and want to power it with 230V to avoid the eternal changing of batteries. I've tried Sony's various apps but it's cumbersome and I want to keep this external monitor separate from the computer that sits next to my macro set. Price around 3-400 USD or the equivalent in € as I live in an EU country.

enricosavazzi

Re: Looking for a good 10-15" monitor

Post by enricosavazzi »

I am unable to suggest a small monitor of good quality in the 10-15" range, except for quite expensive ones used for video shooting and designed for field use. My experience with not-so-expensive small monitors (e.g. a 7" I still have in a drawer) is that they may accept an HD video signal, but the LCD panel does not have the necessary number of pixels to actually display it in HD resolution, so the electronics just interpolate the signal and display it in lower resolution. This does not work well if you need the monitor for precision focusing.

On the other hand, since you will be using the monitor indoors on AC power, what is wrong with a bigger (20" or more) computer LCD monitor? They cost less than small monitors (well below the price range you quote), are easier to find, and do display HD in full resolution.

Another problem with using an external monitor is that several digital cameras have limitations on its use. For example several Sony Alpha cameras, including the Alpha R II, do not display focus peaking on an external monitor, only on the built-in monitor and viewfinder.
--ES

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

If you have an old laptop lying around, take the screen out and search for screen part number plus "driver".

Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

I found this one: https://www.beetronics.eu/10-inch-monitor, could that work out for me with my Sony A7R ii?

blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

Any possibility to use USB tether with a laptop?
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, and EPIStar 2571
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

chris

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

That monitor is quite expensive but will work. You will save a lot if you simply salvage an old laptop.
Or connect the camera to laptop via a cheap capture card USB, they are like $20-$50.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

chris_ma wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:15 pm
just came across this today:
https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/07/23/ ... mi-3g-sdi/
It is described as a 4k monitor, but the description further states: "The LUT11S features a 10.1″ 1920 x 1200 IPS panel". So it is the common case of a small monitor with a high bandwidth signal pass-through (4k in this case), but a significantly lower actual resolution of the LCD panel (roughly 1k, slightly more than 1080p).

To be fair, on a screen of this size a 4k actual resolution would be wasted. Without a magnifier you would not be able to see any difference from a 1080p panel.
--ES

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

yeah, it's certainly no 4K monitor, but as you say on 10" one probably wouldn't see much difference anyway.

I just posted it because it's very rare to see a 10" HD monitor with HDMI input, so if this is the goal it seems a pretty good option, and rather affordable compared to what these things used to sell for.
chris

Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

I just found out that this 10" monitor described above is accessible here in Sweden at a price about 600USD.

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

Big Pete wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:05 am
I just found out that this 10" monitor described above is accessible here in Sweden at a price about 600USD.
it's a new announcement, I suspect the price will become cheaper once the monitor is more widely available.

here are two alternatives I've found:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/LILLIPUT-Bro ... B08DKT5BHV
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Streaming-Br ... 09GXQPT7C/
chris

Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. I have now ordered a Lilliput 7" which will be an upgrade from my Fotga 5" monitor. The space that I have after a bit of repositioning on my macro table barely accommodates a 10" monitor, so I therefore mount the Lilliput A7S on an articulating arm and then get greater maneuverability for landscape or portrait format.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic