Tweener manual rail

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

clarnibass

Tweener manual rail

Post by clarnibass »

Hi

Looking for a manual rail and wondering if one of the low priced ones would be decent, such as the Sunwayfoto or NiSi.

I have a good electronic rail for studio/serious/slow setups.
I have one of those very cheap gear rails that I never use because it's terrible.
I have a Desmond rail (apparently no longer made) that is actually good, except it has a serious defect with a lot of side movement, especially when changing directions. This is the one I'd like to replace. Repairing it is not realistic.

I'll use it in situations where the electronic rail is not practical or possible to use, but there's enough time/space for a tripod setup. Mostly for focusing and maybe the occasional stack, never over 2x magnification.

I was going to start making one myself with a linear rail but I barely had time and then my milling machine died and won't be repaired in the foreseeable future...

Thanks

blekenbleu

Re: Tweener manual rail

Post by blekenbleu »

My personal experience is that a Manfrotto 454 is handy for rough positioning but frustrating for focus bracketing.
When possible, using (e.g. Canon or Magic Lantern) focus bracketing with an autofocus lens is easiest.

Allan Walls is IMO both credible and entertaining;
he reviewed some alternatives in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYdD1wPSZo4

Allan more recently favorably reviewed a tweaked NiSi NM-180:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxA-h4zLYRA
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, and EPIStar 2571
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope

colohank

Post by colohank »

I own the SunwayFoto rail. It's beautifully machined and the carriage is adjustable for tension and backlash. Each complete turn of the crank advances the carriage 1.25mm, and it's pretty easy to estimate 1/8th turns, equal to steps of 5/32 mm (156 microns). Thus, it's not suitable for very fine work but more than adequate for larger subjects. My only complaint is that the knob which tightens the Arca-Swiss style clamp is longer than is often shown in pictures of the product, and it therefore reduces travel of the carriage because it impinges on the crank and prevents the carriage from moving all the way to the rear of the rail. It would help if I could reverse the orientation of the carriage on the rail, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it. Even so, the rail is well worth the $100 or so I paid for it. I often use it for quick jobs instead of setting up my StackShot.

clarnibass

Post by clarnibass »

Thanks. I'll probably get the Sunwayfoto then.
I don't think I'd mind the knob preventing it from going all the way back, it has much more than enough travel for what I need (the photos on their own website show the longer knob).
For removing it, I guess either it is a two part clamp and you can separate it from the nut, or you need to remove the lead screw before sliding the clamp off... but maybe you already looked into all of that.
Re the Manfrotto, I've heard mostly bad things about it.
I only use completely manual macro lenses anyway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic