Thorlabs super apochromat 2x

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Scarodactyl

Re: Thorlabs super apochromat 2x

Post by Scarodactyl »

I think it would be easier to stitch from my 5x than to buy a dozen spacers tbh, or use my mitutoyo 2x and photoshop out the inherent hotspot in the center of the FoV (assuming I don't sell it). My setup is ultimately about trying to be efficient, but..........I dunno, maybe I should. I am not sure how much the thorlabs would need.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

PeteM wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:08 pm
Sheer luck? Shear luck! It's excellent that you'll be able to have DIC with this objective, even if on a long extension.
Okay this was one of the best puns I have seen.
Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:10 pm
I think it would be easier to stitch from my 5x than to buy a dozen spacers tbh, or use my mitutoyo 2x and photoshop out the inherent hotspot in the center of the FoV (assuming I don't sell it). My setup is ultimately about trying to be efficient, but..........I dunno, maybe I should. I am not sure how much the thorlabs would need.
Will a 1/4 lambda waveplate help with minimising the hotspot? It may have an unintentional effect on DIC though, I am not sure if reflect light DIC blends well with a de Sénarmont compensator.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

That is a good question. My impression was that the add-ons they sell were a substitute for having proper polarizers/analyzers on your epi illumination setup, since crossing the polarozers does remove the hotspot (when not using DIC). But I am not 100% sure and should probably give it a try.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

As an update, I sent an email to Thorlabs suggesting they were underselling the 2x and offering an example photo--they took me up on the photo and I think adjusted the text a bit as well. Having used the 2x a bit more since I gotta say it's holding up great, really nice objective.

lothman

Post by lothman »

do you have the opportunity to test it against one of the Laowa 2x macros?

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

lothman wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:49 am
Unfortunately not yet. I want one but unlike the 2x I don't have anything equivalent I can sell off to offset the cost. If I get my hands on one I will do a shootout.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:32 pm
lothman wrote:
Unfortunately not yet. I want one but unlike the 2x I don't have anything equivalent I can sell off to offset the cost. If I get my hands on one I will do a shootout.
Hi Scarodactyl,

If you are interested in seeing some 2x comparison results I could help and run a quick test if you be okay sending the Thorlabs 2x here, not 100% sure if I have the tube lens you would like to see though. We can split the shipping cost. Let me know. I havent done any shooting for some time now but I can make the time I need.

Best,

Robert

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

RobertOToole wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:56 pm
Scarodactyl wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:32 pm
lothman wrote:
Hi Scarodactyl,

If you are interested in seeing some 2x comparison results I could help and run a quick test if you be okay sending the Thorlabs 2x here, not 100% sure if I have the tube lens you would like to see though. We can split the shipping cost. Let me know. I havent done any shooting for some time now but I can make the time I need.

Best,

Robert
That does sound like fun, and I'm curious how it would do on full frame. It's currently my daily driver but I can use the Optem for a while again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic